twenty six - independent

a/n im aware that the dates and stuff are wrong for wwa tour but just pretend like they’ve been through europe then england and now they’re in ireland/scotland area ok thanks

*one month later*

-

I stumble past the many tourists and locals that crowd up the main city, not bothering to mutter “excuse me” or “sorry” when they walk right into me. Walking in central London was a nightmare. The city was a giant cluster of people trying to get from point A to point B as fast as they possibly could. I had learned my first week that to survive the locals you just had to keep your head down and keep walking.

My first week was not at all how I planned. Since I got here nothing seemed to go right. Maybe it was just the world punishing me for leaving Ashton, but I was completely set on going to university. I had worked hard to get here, even with my only average grades, I still finished school a year early. I could’ve easily taken a year off, two even if I wanted, but my dad wanted me to go to school right away.

Our apartment was a decent size, and it worked for all of us since it was in walking distance of everywhere we needed to be. I was so thankful to have my best friends with me these past few weeks or else I probably would’ve gone insane.

I quickly scatter into the main building of my program and take a seat at the back. I figured uni was going be exactly like high school, me just breezing by. the only thing that got me through the restless days was that eventually I could be with Ashton.

I drone out the sound of my professor and wonder if I messed this up. Should I have gone on tour with him? Of course I would’ve been happier with him on the road, but what if it didn’t work out in the long run? I haven’t been able to focus on anything else since I left him at the airport.

Before every concert he would call me, before every flight, every radio performance, every interview. Even if I couldn’t answer, he’d leave me a sweet voice mail to let me know he was still there. I was terrified for the days to come where he might forget to call me and say good night, and he would stop leaving me little messages here and there. Because when that starts to happen, I know we’re screwed.

I was trying really hard to get ahead on my assignments so that I could give him a surprise visit. Thankfully he was nearing the UK leg of the tour after being in Europe and I knew I needed to go visit.

-

*two months later*

-

I grab my cell phone after hearing from Michael that they were all in London. Ashton had apparently neglected to tell me that. I dial his number quickly, waiting to call him out.

“Are you in London?” I ask as soon as he answers the phone. I hear him sigh into the speaker and I know he’s probably running his fingers through his hair like he always does when he’s nervous.

“Yes but-”

I cut him off because I already know the answer. “You’re too busy for me to come see you.” It had been like this every single time he got close to my new home, and I was starting to feel suspicious.

“I know, it’s frustrating as hell. If we have a day off I’ll come see you I promise.”

I couldn’t stand to talk to him any longer, so I ended the call, “I love you.”

“You too.” He mutters, and then hangs up.

The days were coming where our relationship would soon fall apart.