three - names

After a short flight, we unfortunately land in Sydney, Australia.

Don’t get me wrong, Sydney is great, and it’s definitely the only other part of Australia that I would consider living it. It’s the fact that it is on the other side of the country from all my friends, especially Troye.

We got to our new house, and it was almost twice the size of the original one. As soon as we got there I picked out my room, dropped everything, and completely ignored my dad and the witch.

I guess that didn’t last very long because I could hear someone thumping on my door.

I release the headphones from my ears and stomp to answer it. I quickly draw it open, realizing that it’s the witch. Before she can get a word in a shut the door on her.

“Zoe, that isn’t very nice considering I’m paying for you to live here!”

“Do you know what would be even better?” I scream back at her. “Is if I wasn’t even here!”

“You know what you little twat!” She beckons. “I have done nothing but try to support you and make you happy, and all you do is shove it back in my face! I know you don’t want to live here and that you couldn’t care less about me, but for god sake do it for your father!”

She always knew where it would hit me most: my dad.

“Don’t you talk to me about my dad. He’s supposed to be mine and you stole him away from me! You put that wedge between our relationship! Now the only time we ever talk is when we’re yelling at each other!”

“Don’t try to blame me for that, it’s your own fault you have bloody anger issues!” She snaps.

“True, but I will blame you from ruining my life.” I gave her a death glare that would leave her running. She quickly left the room after my final comment. Clearly she didn’t have a decent comeback for that one.

“FUCK!” Is all I can manage to scream out. None of this would be happening if I was at home. At my real home. In Perth. On the other damn side of the country.

Better make the most of this weekend before I have to go to the hell hole that is school. I’ll probably end up being the loser who enrolls halfway through the year and has no friends.

It’s currently Friday night. Three nights until school starts. It’s pitch black outside, and about 2 in the morning.

Sounds like a perfect time for a skate.

-

Most people would consider it highly dangerous to be skating in an unknown city so late at night. This was now the second day in a row that I was out skating late. I didn’t get back home till about 5 this morning, so I instantly took a nap. That wasted most of my day and got me away from having to talk to anyone.

I still haven’t called any of my friends back home. I was terrified they would forget me already, and so I only pushed them away more. I would try to remember to call them after school Monday so that I could vent to them about all the cute Aussie boys here. There’s only one thing about being in the Australian capital: hot boys. And lots of them.

I approach a stop light and decide to take a break for a bit. I’ve been skating for nearly an hour now and I was still tired from skating the night before. My Blink-182 was still blasting in my ears, but I couldn’t help but notice a tall figure moving from beyond the darkness.

They got closer and I still couldn’t recognize their face. I immediately notice the faint outline of their skateboard and I watch as the wheels move round and round. I kept my eyes down as the mysterious person passes by, watching their wheels spin beneath them. Just as they pass me I glance up to see the outline of a black hat. They were almost out of view when they abruptly stop.

I stay calm, if he tried to attack me I could totally take him. One of the pluses of having anger management issues, I’m always angry for a fight.

The person backtracks to me, riding their skateboard backwards. They stop right in front of me and I look up to them.

“Is that Blink-182?”

“Yeah, you know them?”

“Who doesn’t?

“Umm, do you maybe wanna listen with me?”

At least I knew he was a boy now. He’s tall figure and deep voice allowed me that. He sat down beside me and accepts the headphone from me shaking fingers.

“You alright?” He asks me.

“Just a bit cold, that’s all.” I lie. He moves closer to me and I’m still slightly frightened by the idea of not knowing who he is.

“My name’s Ashton by the way, Ashton Fletcher Irwin.” He offers out a hand and I accept it.

“Zoe Smith.” I simply state, dropping my hand back on my lap.

“No, what’s your full name?” He pesters.

“Why…”

“Just wanna know you’re full name.”

“Zoe Lee Smith.”

“Alright Zoe Lee, why are you sitting on a bench, in the middle of the night, listening to Feeling This by Blink?”

“I don’t know, Ashton Fletcher, why are you sitting next to a stranger, in the middle of the night, sharing her music?” I shoot back.

“Touche.” He notes.

“I can’t stand being in the same house as my step-mom. If you were wondering.” I reply, crossing my arms on my chest.

“Ouu, mommy problems.”  He laughs. I didn’t really think it was all that funny.

“Well it wouldn’t be a problem if I was at my real home, in Perth.”

“You just moved here then?”

“Unfortunately. Yesterday.”

“Wow, that really blows.”

I hear my phone ding in my ear and glance at a snapchat from Troye. Finally, I need a little taste of home. Ashton stays quiet as I look at Troye’s picture. I let out a sad laugh watching Troye eating ice cream without me.

“Hey, do you wanna be in this picture with me to my friend back home?” I ask him. I secretly hoped he said yes, so I would have a face to go along with that sweet voice.

“Yeah, of course.” He scoots closer to me as I prepare to snap the picture. I feel his arm brush against mine and shivers send shooting down my spine. I don’t know whether it was a good or bad feeling. I was kind of dying to figure out what he looked like, and this was a perfect excuse to get a glimpse of him. I adjust my hair by flipping it to the side.

“Just let me turn the flash on.” I can feel his body move beside me as I flick the “flash on” button.

I click the capture button and a flash spreads across our faces, blinding us both for a few seconds. I pull my phone down into my lap, still keeping it close enough for him to view it.

My eyes begin to focus again and my heart drops into my stomach as I recognize those piercing hazel eyes.