When she got to the place, Elijah was standing outside.

"It hasn't started yet, has it?" she asked.

Elijah hesitated. "The sacrifice won't start until the moon passes its apex. But Riley, there's something you should know."

"What?" she asked.

"Klaus needed a vampire for the ritual, so he took Elena's aunt Jenna. Stefan's gone to ask Klaus to use him instead."

"Stefan's sacrificing himself?" Riley asked, almost breathlessly. Tears filled her eyes. "This is our fault."

"It's not your fault," Elijah said immediately.

"Yes it is," she nodded. "Damon and I saved Caroline and Tyler, and now Stefan's probably gonna die. This is all our fault."

Elijah sighed. "Klaus is a monster, Riley, remember that. Whatever happens, you did what you had to do to save the people you love."

Riley shrugged her shoulders. "It doesn't matter, does it? Either way, people are gonna die. But you're gonna kill Klaus, and Elena's gonna be a vampire but she'll be alive. And Tyler's a werewolf and Matt knows about vampires and Damon might die and my parents are getting divorced and, you know what, this town sucks! It sucks!"

Elijah reached into the pocket of his suit, pulled out a letter, and gave it to her.

"The town isn't the problem Riley, a town is just a town. It's just a place. It's the place where everyone you love lives. And if tonight goes as planned, you'll be free to live as you choose." He pointed to the letter. "When we're gone, open that."

"What is it?" she asked with a sniff.

Before he could answer, Damon and Bonnie walked out of the house. Immediately Riley and Bonnie pulled each other into a hug.

"You can do this," Riley whispered into her ear. "You're so freaking strong, Klaus is nothing compared to you."

Bonnie smiled and took a deep breath. Tonight would be the biggest challenge that she'd ever face. But she knew that she could do it. It was as if every single spell she'd ever done was preparing her for this moment, when she'd take on the biggest threat they'd ever faced. And she could do it.

"We'll save Stefan," Damon assured Riley. "When this is over, we'll go back to being one big happy dysfunctional family." The sarcasm was the coping mechanism that they both needed. Neither of them wanted to think about, or even mention, the werewolf bite on his arm.

Without thinking, she pulled him into a hug. Back when she'd first seen Damon Salvatore, making eyes at Caroline in the Grill, she never imagined that she'd grip him this tightly; that she couldn't even fathom the idea that he might be about to leave her life. That hugging him would feel exactly the same as hugging a best friend.

And he held her equally as tightly, only just thinking about how important she had become to him. If Klaus's plan worked, if he killed Elena and Stefan, then it was nice to know that he'd still have someone to come back to.

"Bonnie, what is this?!" Ric asked. Damon and Riley separated, looking back to see that Ric had been trapped in the house.

"I can't put anyone else at risk," Bonnie said apologetically, turning to Riley. "When you go inside, you won't be able to get out until the barrier goes down."

"You can't do this!" Ric said. "I can't stay here with Jenna out there!"

"I'm sorry," Bonnie said

"Sorry buddy," Damon added. "She's right."

The three of them walked away. After watching their retreating backs, Riley walked into the house. Ric was sat on the floor, distraught.