14. Don't Trust The B- In The Tomb

Riley awoke to the sound of someone annoying incessantly ringing her doorbell. After a few seconds of ignoring it, she realized that both her parents were at work. And apparently, the person wasn't going away.

"What?!" she shouted, flinging open the door to reveal a smug looking Damon Salvatore, holding two coffee cups in his hands.

"Hi," he said cheerfully, before looking her over. "Nice PJ's."

"What are you doing here, Salvatore? It's Saturday. I should not have to talk to people this early on a Saturday morning."

Damon frowned. "It's 3pm."

"Your point being?" she raised an eyebrow.

Damon shook his head, before gesturing to the drinks in his hand. "I come bearing hot drinks."

"You brought me coffee?" Riley asked, stepping out onto the porch so that she could take the drink from him. There was no way she was letting him inside the house.

"No, you don't drink coffee," Damon told her. "What kind of New Yorker doesn't drink coffee?"

"How do you know that?" she asked him, taking a sip of her drink. Hot chocolate. Her favorite.

"Even without compulsion, Caroline loves to talk," he smirked at her.

"Right," she nodded, taking another sip. "And you're here doing something nice because you want... what?"

Damon rolled his eyes, knowing that the nice gesture was too much. She could see right through it.

"Stefan's helping me get Katherine back."

Riley was taken aback. After what Stefan had said about the 27 vampires taking up residence in the tomb, why would he help release them?

"Right. And that brings you here because...?"

"He and Elena, they're acting... suspicious. Can I trust them?" he asked.

"You're asking me whether you can trust your own brother and his girlfriend?" Riley asked. "You've known them longer than I have."

"I just want a second opinion," he said defensively. "Would you trust them?"

Riley sighed. "Neither of them want to let the vampires out, we know that. But if they can get your girl out and get rid of the rest... maybe they want to help. They're not shady people Damon. Give them a chance."

He nodded, still looking unconvinced.

"Look, everyone has to trust someone, right?" she tried to reason with him. "I think trusting your sibling is a good idea."

"You wouldn't know," Damon said with a smirk when he turned to leave. "You're an only child."

"Bye dick!" she called at his retreating back, going back inside and shutting the door. But her curiosity got the better of her. She didn't want anyone to let the vamps out of the tomb, but she also couldn't shake the feeling that Damon was on to something. Stefan wouldn't take a risk like that, especially if it posed a threat to Elena and all of her friends.

Which is why Riley found herself at Elena's house about an hour later, hoping that Stefan would be there too.

"Hey," she said when Elena invited her in. "We need to talk."

"What's up?" Elena asked, but Riley was more concerned with the collection of papers in Stefan's hand.

"What are those?"

"This is Johnathan Gilbert's journal," Stefan informed her.

"The journal holds the location of the grimoire, which has the spell that Damon needs to get into the tomb," Elena added.