32. The Walking Dead

"Thanks for letting me third wheel," Riley said the next day. She'd spent the night in the old witch house with Bonnie and Jeremy.

"You're leaving?" Bonnie asked.

"Yeah," she said regretfully. "We've been stuck in this dark room all day, and I'm pretty sure Jeremy wants some time alone with you..." she winked and Bonnie laughed. Her phone started to vibrate in her hand as she left the creepy building.

"Hey, I was with Bonnie," Riley said to Elena, quickly putting the phone to her ear. "What's up?"

"It's a long story," she said hurriedly. "Klaus went after Jenna, and I need to be with her. Could you please come to the Lockwood place and keep Elijah busy until I get back?"

Riley almost dropped the phone. "What do you mean? We killed Elijah."

"I pulled the dagger out," Elena informed her. "Bonnie might die if she tries to kill Klaus; Elijah will help us find another way."

Riley sighed. "Look Elena, I helped them kill Elijah, remember? What makes you think that he won't get revenge by snapping my neck?"

Elena scoffed. "We both know that Elijah wouldn't hurt you. You're on my list of people to protect," she said, her voice on the edge of a freak-out. "Please Riley? I'm desperate."

Riley grimaced, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Fine."

"Thank you!" Elena said with relief, hanging up. Riley got into her car and tried to calm her beating heart. As nervous as she was to be face-to-face with him again, there was a part of her that couldn't help but feel... excited.

***

He was the only resident of the Lockwood house when she entered. He was standing in the living room facing the window, his back to her.

"Coming back from the dead suits you," Riley said softly.

He turned to face her. "You tried to kill me."

"Damon tried to kill you," she reminded him. "I didn't know he was gonna do it that night."

Elijah raised an eyebrow, frowning. "But you did know what his plans were?" he asked. "You knew that he had the dagger?"

She nodded, sitting on the couch. "I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I wasn't involved in the plan, because I was. I knew what was going to happen and I didn't stop it. But I also can't pretend that I didn't feel guilty when you died Elijah. So, I'm sorry."

"You're sorry because you felt guilty?" he wondered.

"I'm sorry for my involvement." She stood up and walked over to him, looking him in the eye. "I'm sorry that I helped my friends try to save Elena. I'm sorry that we felt like we had no other option. And I'm sorry that you seem like a good guy, because this would be 100 times easier if you were an unbelievable douche."

He smiled and looked down. "Thank you. And for the record, I'm sorry that Klaus is trying to sacrifice Elena."

She nodded, knowing that his apology was sincere.

"So... now can you tell me why you hate Klaus so much?" she asked hopefully.

He sighed, a playful look on his face. He held out his arm, and she immediately took it, allowing him to lead her outside.

"Klaus and I have history."

"I gathered that," she said. "History doesn't make you want to kill someone."

"Well, sibling relationships can become complicated," he said, looking at her to try and gauge her reaction.

"Wait," she stopped walking. "Siblings? Klaus is your brother?"