Chapter Thirteen (13)

Start from the beginning

Why was she asking her again? Did she think Jean was loose and letting go of her previous morals because she had one terrible night that just happened to be recorded for the world to see?

****

Shawn knew that when a student brought up the video to him that he was in trouble. 

"Was that you?" the outgoing freshman boy asked. "It was you. Who was that girl? Your wife?"

The next hour when the kids were transitioning, he saw a couple of girls whispering outside his door and peeking in. When he glanced up, they scattered. They weren't students of his.

Shawn knew he needed to clear his name and bring some understanding to the situation. If it was already this popular, he couldn't imagine what couple more days would entail. He wondered how Jean was doing...

Shawn walked into the principal's office during this planning period that morning.

"Mr. Lewis," Kelly Garver said, looking up from her computer and turning in her chair to face Shawn. "What can I do for you?"

Shawn took a seat across from her and clasped his hands together.

"I've seemed to have caused quite the commotion among the students," Shawn said. "I'm not sure if you've heard?"

"Have the young girl's tried asking you to prom again?" Kelly said with a smirk.

Shawn laughed and put his head in his hands. "No, thankfully not. There was something that happened over the weekend."

Kelly's face grew more concerned. "Is everything okay?"

Shawn nodded. "There was an incident in a public place with an acquaintance of mine. I was not with her, but she was causing quite the scene and was intoxicated." And probably drugged, but Shawn didn't feel it necessary to add that part. "Anyways, people were recording on their phones and nobody stepped up to help her. I quickly escorted her from the bar and took her home. The video however, has gotten lots of attention."

Kelly's eyebrows were rose in sympathy. "Were you also intoxicated in the video?"

"No ma'am."

Kelly nodded her head, processing what Shawn had just told her. "Could you show me the video?"

Shawn felt his heart drop in his chest, but knew that he couldn't say no. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He found it in a message someone had sent him.

Shawn didn't know where to look when his boss's eyes were glued on his phone. At this point, he knew exactly at what sound cue he would make his appearance. Then the audio erupted and he saw Kelly raise her eyebrows.

"That's definitely escorting her out," Kelly said, the corner of her mouth turning up into a smile as she handed his phone back. "I can see how that might be gaining you lots of attention."

Shawn nodded.

"Now, as you know, teachers are held to a bit of a higher standard. Had you been the one thrown over someone's shoulder, we would have a very big problem."

Shawn looked to meet her eyes. "Of course."

"Now, you've been here three years and I've only heard wonderful things about from both the faculty and the students here. I know you're professional, and I know you would never do anything to jeopardize your position. I appreciate you approaching me with this right away."

Shawn waited for her to continue.

"I would suggest just addressing it to your classes. Be honest with them, tell them the truth, that way no assumptions can be made. If this video is as popular as you said, you might want to send out a staff email also explaining what happened so other teachers know how to address it. Also, that way we have documented proof of your statement, should any parents later question it."