Chapter 6: Nightmare to Daydream

"Natasha."

Steve voice was soft and distant, like an echo from the far end of a tunnel. She looked around in the darkness, trying to find him as she called back to him. Her voice was barely a whisper back, no matter how loud she screamed his name hoping he'd hear and show himself.

Her lap was warm, and only now did she realise she was kneeling, with Steve laying in front of her, his head on her lap. Blood seeping through his locks of blonde hair.

She gasped, but still no sound.

"Help me." He pleaded in a broken tone, helpless and dependent on her as tears rolled down her cheeks. Yet, she couldn't move. Mute and motionless. In horror, she watched as Steve became Bucky in a blink of an eye.

"Help me." He murmured, losing consciousness as she held his head, blue eyes losing colour as they stared sharply through her. "Help me." He repeated louder, clawing at her and he pulled himself upright, her face now inches from his. "Help me!" She tried to speak, shake her head but her body resisted everything her brain told it to do. "Help me! Help me! HELP ME!"

Natasha jolted awake, laying flat on her back and breathing quickly as her heart thudded in her chest. It had been years since she had had a nightmare, especially one where she felt so trapped inside her own mind. That felt so real. She gripped the duvet around her tightly, glancing at the time on the clock by the bed before closing her eyes and hoping she could slip back into a more peaceful sleep. She thought perhaps she'd gotten away with it, but the body beside her shifted to face her, a large hand casted through her hair.

"Nightmare?" He whispered, and she nodded in return, slowly opening her eyes to meet his. Warm blue, full of life. How they should be.

"Sorry I woke you." She sighed, rubbing her face as she tried to rid her mind of the dream, shake the images of death. He didn't press the subject, soothingly stroking her hair to help her distress and get her back to sleep.

"I was already awake anyway." He admitted, motioning to the book he had rested over his stomach.

"Trouble sleeping?"

"Overactive mind." He shrugged nonchalantly.

She frowned slightly as she turned to face him, resting her hand on his chest. She could feel his heart thudding quickly, like he was nervous or excited about something. "Everything alright?" She asked quietly, watching his chest rise and fall while he smiled at her through the darkness.

"Yes, Doll." She raised a brow at the pet name he rarely used, so special he never used it day to day unless he really wanted to win her over. "Everything is great."

She yawned, nuzzling into her pillow with a sigh. "Good. As it should be." She smiled sleepily, stroking his cheek softly. "I love you."

"Oh, so it's one of those dreams." He slid his arm around her to pull her closer, chuckling softly. He smiled and kissed her forehead, knowing she was more shaken than she was letting on. "I'm not going anywhere." He promised her, letting her get comfortable against him.

She was already drifting back to sleep, body relaxing once more now the adrenaline that had built up in her system during her nightmare was rapidly decreasing. She made a small noise of content and let her eyes fall close. "Me either."

He smiled keeping her close as he balanced his book up once more to read. His own heart slowed and relaxed, comforted by the small reminder that she loved and sought him in the dark. Any doubt he had was pushed clean out of his mind, ready for the next day.