Stand your ground. Like a rock. Or a tree. Never let anything throw you out of balance and don't move unless you decide so. This is what Anatoli taught me when we started training for my Champion carreer. And so I stand here, like a rock, and let Maverick's anger consume him.

Another thing that works in my favor - Maverick seems to get tired easily. Most of his victorious fights are decided quickly. If I manage to drag the fight out a bit, his performance will decrease, also becuase this is his second fight today.

I let Maverick try to break my defense as much as he wants.

Shortly, I hear a siren warning against the first earthquake.

...

The ground shakes under our feet. I stand there, immovable and perfectly focused. Maverick didn't lose his balance as much as I hoped, but he still slightly staggers backwards. That's all I need. I rush forward with my shield ready to strike. My plan is to smack Maverick's head with my shield, and then, before he recovers, transform it into a lance which I thrust into his chest.

This move was proven useful many times and usually earns one Clash and one Fatal point.

I attack with the shield. However, Maverick surprises me by catching the shield's edges and stopping it. The earthquake ends and he stands firmly again.

He starts to push the shield down. I counter by pulling it up. However, it seems that Maverick is stronger. The shield, alongside my artificial arm, slowly slips down, uncovering my head and chest. Once the shield is low enough, Maverick strikes. He pushes me backwards and thrust his fist into my face.

___|___ | Castor | Maverick | ___|__O

When I stop seeing double, I have to face another attack. His fist is only a few centimeters away from my face. I raise my organic hand and grab Maverick's fist, then try to twist his hand. He replies by using his other hand to strike. I block it with my shield.

After a while of struggle, I manage to push his hand aside and headbutt him. It is a dangerous move which gives a Clash point to both players, but at least it helps me to gain the upper hand again. I transform my shield into lance and strike.

Even though it seems Maverick is staggering, he evades. Then he grabs the area behind my elbow, that's where the lance ends, and twist my arm easily like it was made of jelly. I shout as Maverick gets behind my back and sends me to the ground with a crushing kick.

Before I can even land, my opponent grabs the back of my head and smashes it on the ground.

O__|___ | Castor | Maverick | XX_|___

Damn it. Maverick, or Isaiah, is only one step away from victory. But what's even worse: before he smashed my face into the dust, he said: Stay away from her. At least that's what I heard. It's clear he was talking about Zoya. But why would he say that? They parted ways, at least that's what Zoya told us.

Maybe his obscured mind isn't sure whether he wants to let Zoya go or not. Whether he still loves her. Or maybe this is what is he trying to protect Zoya from. According to what Zoya said, he is aware of his problems. He probably realizes he would sooner or later kill anyone who'd get close to Zoya.

Maybe he's winning because I also have to fight the power of his fierce jealousy.

Well, it's time to knock some sense back into him.

I roll on my back and try to look confused and harmless. Isaiah takes the bait and attacks. But before he can smash me against the ground again, I quickly raise my lance and let him fall on it. The INF system stops the lance from impaling him.