Phase 4, part 2

When the score finally appears after an exhausting, about twenty minutes long fight with the dummy, Odin roars: "Hey everyone, look here! Zoya scored her first 300. Now she's a skilled Champion. I think she deserves some recognition, don't you think?"

The crowd starts to clap and chant my name. "Thank you," I say while fighting for my breath.

Odin shakes my hand. "Congratulations. If I can judge, you're skilled enough to take part in your first tournamments. Almost every bigger city holds small championships for beginners and intermediate, they are called Skirmishes. It's a good place to start. I recommend you to at least try taking part in one as soon as possible, so you finally experience how does a real fight feel like."

"You're a little less bad than before," Scarla smirks. "No, I'm just kidding. It's not quite perfect yet, but I think you can handle a Skirmish. You probably won't win it, but the experience is priceless." She takes a look at her pentop. "The next Newcastle Skirmish is in two weeks. You should join."

"What? So soon?" I burst out at Zoya

She nods. "You heard me. Odin, Scarla and other Champions agree that I'm ready to take part in a Skirmish. And I feel that they're right. Could you, please, register me?"

"How much is the prize money?" I ask without thinking.

Zoya laughs. "You and your top priorities! I have to tell you I probably won't win. But the prize for winning a Skirmish is three hundred royals. Maybe I won't win my first one, but it's possible that my tenth performance will be victorious. Every journey begins with a single step."

"It feels... strange," I confess. "Almost like my child taking a graduation exam."

"I'd say it's just the first day of school," Zoya replies. "And besides that, Ryan... no offense, but you'd be a horrible father."

"I'm not denying that."

Zoya sits on the couch next to me. "So, what do we have to do so I can officially become a Champion?"

I open my pentop and enter the official Neoclash website. On the front page, there are dates of upcoming tournamments and updates about the European leaderboard. Nightingale's annoyingly seductive face is still on the top. I hope someone will replace that arrogant bitch soon.

I tap on the link New Champions.

"It seems that the registration can be done at every Neoclash arena," I say after reading the guidelines. "But it has to be done in person. That means another trip to Newcastle."

"Can we go right now?"

I laugh. "You are quite impatient for someone so hard-working."

"Look, Ryan, I've been waiting for this moment since you brought me here. Finally, I can hope to be an actual Champion. I did my waiting and I don't wanna make it any longer."