I lower my eyes. "I'm sorry about your loss."

"You don't need to be. Every end is a beginning to something new. This is, more or less, a motto of all Castaways. Our whole life revolves around ends and beginnings."

"Just a question. Do you tell this story to every new member of your community?"

Konstantin shakes his head. "I usually keep it to myself. You are an exception, Zoya. Something in your eyes tells me you can understand. Behind all the determination in them, I see sadness. Is that so?"

"You are observant," I admit. In return, I tell him everything about my past life. How I lost my parents, how my Tribe left me for dead, how I found and lost Isaiah. Odin patiently listens, just like I did when he spoke. Even though we're opposites in every possible way, we understand each other.

When I finish, Odin nods slowly. "You also had your share of pain. But now, as a Champion, you have to push it aside. You don't have to forget it completely. It's impossible, after all. But you mustn't let it define you. That's the difference between the strong and the weak, who took the wrong path." He stands up and smiles. "I think we had enough talking for now. Come again tomorrow. Your training will begin."

...

I pick up Ryan from the building and drive back home.

"Wow, that was a pretty rough mob," Ryan utters.

"They're actually nice," I say. "You just mustn't look and act like a wimp in front of them."

Ryan rolls his eyes and changes the subject. "What did Odin want from you?"

"He just needed to talk. He's a nice man and went through a lot. I think you couldn't get me a better mentor. My training starts tomorrow. I'm excited!"

"Does that mean I'll have to drive there again...?" Ryan groans.

"You can take a book with you."

When we arrive home, it's already dark. I take my obstacle course and have a dinner, then relax for the rest of the day. I have a feeling that the real effort starts tomorrow. I'd better be fresh.

I can hardly sleep, excited about the first session with Odin and the others. I promise myself I'll get so far to be a worthy opponent for him even if he uses his full power.

The next day, I exercise, but just enough to not exhaust myself. My excitement has to be visible since Ryan keeps uttering remarks all day: Could you, for God's sake, stand still for a while? Do you have a goddamn nuclear generator in your ass? Jesus CHRIST, Zoya, I'm trying to focus.

Finally, as the clock finally strike four in the afternoon, Ryan finally admits it's time to go. I change into my sports outfit and wait next to Ryan's car until he gets ready. And that man has a nerve to tell me I take too long. After roughly twenty minutes, he finally appears.

I have to chuckle a bit at Ryan's effort to look casual. His usually sleek hair are messy and his usual formal outfit has been replaced by black jeans and dark blue hoodie with a SpaceX logo on it. He tries to look tough, but in the end, he looks exactly like what he is - a nerd trying to act badass.

"I'm trying, okay?" he utters.

"Better than nothing," I smirk.

We drive to Newcastle. Just out of boredom, I reach for the radio and turn it on. The speakers hidden all over the car start to blast fast, vigorous music that instantly fills my veins with energy. I start to nod my head to the rhythm, enjoying it with my every cell. It's aggressive and angry, but I like it.