"I think you can handle it. After all, it's better than being in your father's position, isn't it?" He said, walking back around to look at me.

Anger flared within my solar plexus with a nauseating force. I wanted to lash out, but this time I decided not to. I merely stared at him,hands trapped behind my back.

"Let's go," he put a hand on my shoulder, urging me forward.

Corey led us over to the open sarcophagus, where he picked our bags backup, and inside of the structure I found that the floor extended into a set of stairs which bled into darkness. We took these steps, while he kept a hold of my right arm, and once we reached the bottom it expanded into a large, open space that had walls lined with embedded coffins.

We walked across the room and over to a large, black door set in thestone walls. Corey knocked four times with a distinct rhythm andwaited.

"By the way," he intoned, while we stood there. "If you fuck this plan up as well, I might just kill you myself. If they don't first."

His threat had little affect on me. All I really wanted to do was be able to lay down and sleep. Also, food would be great. And blood. My eyes flicked to the pallid line of Corey's throat for a brief moment before they were drawn to the door as it swung open, revealing two figures adorned in red and black clothing, hoods pulled low.

One of them, who I believed was a woman, appeared to recognize Corey as they stepped forward, dragging their gaze over him. "Johnson?"

"Are you going to let me in?" He questioned.

They moved aside, and Corey pulled me along behind him as we entered another room. This one was large as well, but aglow with candlelight and lanterns, with cots set up against one wall and a large table in the middle of the room. There was even a fireplace crackling among the south wall. The Rebellion had obviously been using this place as a hideout for a long time, because it was certainly cozy.

"Who's this?" The woman inquired, gesturing to me.

"You don't recognize our most valuable hostage?" Corey responded, tone incredulous.

She seemed to take a closer look at me, her face shadowed by the hood she wore. Her voice was surprised when she spoke next; "The queen? But-"

"Yeah, I know." Corey cut her off. "It's a long story, but our hideout got raided by the police. Bryn tasked me with getting her out and as far away as possible as quickly as I could. So, I went to the next nearest safe haven. Which is here."

The woman regarded him with a somber manner and she spoke with a slight accent. "How did the police find your hideout?"

"Because they have a demon helping them."

"Reaver," she intoned with animosity.

Corey gestured in agreement. "And that's not all, either. It would seem they're on our trail. When I first got here, I sought out a few cultists in town and we agreed to meet up at Bat Cove Inn, so I could give them a rundown on the situation. When I arrived they were already dead. Luckily, I was able to recall where this hideout was located. Though, I wasn't sure if it would still be operating."

I looked at him with a blank expression the entire time, marveling at how easy it was for him to spin a web of lies. It was unsettling and distressing at once. I couldn't help but linger on his use of the word cultists, though. Everything about this situation had me unnerved.

The woman pushed her hood back, revealing umber toned skin and a stern brown gaze. "I'll send some scouts."

"Good idea," Corey affirmed. "But if they've already caught onto where I've taken her, then I need to get out of the city. Quickly. Can you arrange something?"