Chapter Five

XXXXXXXXX

Chapter Five

XXXXXXXXX

"So, have you thought about it?" Lauren asks as she sits down beside me.

"About what?" I asked, looking up at her.

Tilting her head, the green eyed girl smiles softly. "About whether you're going to join us or go into hiding?"

"Um... I need to speak to my aunt first." I told her.

"Well, she's here isn't she?" The older girl asks in confusion.

"Um, I don't know. I haven't seen her." I told her.

Biting her lip, Lauren turns toward me and looks into my eyes. "Why do you keep avoiding me?"

"I don't." I said. "I just don't want to get you into trouble."

"Don't worry about me, I can take care of myself." She responds, leaning closer to me.

I swallowed. "Why do you come here?" I asked.

"Because I don't agree with the council, my real parents don't either." She says, her eyes dropping to look at my lips.

"Real parents?" I asked.

Nodding her head, Lauren looks back up. "Yeah, my mom was a tat and my dad was a non-tat and I was taken from them."

"Oh. Did they get punished? Severely?" I asked cautiously, not wanting to upset or offend her.

"No, they escaped to a safe zone. That's where a lot of twins are going and they're removing their tattoos." She responds.

"How?" I asked.

"How what?" She asks in confusion.

"How are they getting them removed? How are they not getting caught? Security has been increased." I said.

Shaking her head, Lauren leans back. "I'm talking about the twins that get to a safe zone."

"How do they get there without getting caught?" I asked.

"Us privileged are helping them." Lauren responds.

"Why?" I asked. "Why do you care?"

"Because I was raised correctly." Lauren said, she swallowed. "I don't want to see anyone suffer."

"Camila, there's someone I want to introduce you to." Leslie's voice came from beside me.

Running a hand through my hair, I turn to look at Leslie.

"Camila, this is Quinn, my girlfriend. Quinn, this is Camila, my cousin." Leslie said with a smile. She glanced between Quinn and I.

Forcing a smile, I hold my hand out. "Hi."

"Hello." Quinn shook my hand and smiled. "It's lovely to meet you."

Nodding, I pull my hand away and turn back toward Lauren. "I think I'll accept that tour now."

Quinn's smile faded and she looked at Leslie. "Did I do something wrong?"

Leslie shakes her head and smiles reassuringly. "She doesn't trust non-tats very easily."

"Oh." Quinn turned to me. "I won't hunt you. I'm not my mom."

Nodding slowly, I stand up using my crutches and move away.

"Camila." Leslie said. "She's nothing like her parents."

I didn't respond, moving towards the door.

"Wait up!" Lauren calls, running after me.

"I want to be alone, please." I snapped without meaning to.