Chapter 12: The Transfer Papers

Start from the beginning

Albert nodded accordingly, rising from his chair. "I suppose that I should set my goal as well."

"Your goal?" A puzzled look appeared on Moritz's face.

"I am going to return to the air today." Albert announced boldly, retrieving his flying gear from the nearby chair. "You will need to help me ready my plane, Moritz."

"But Albert," Moritz instantly retorted, shaking his head as Albert approach him with his things. "you are still not yet cleared to fly. Eloise will worry greatly about you if she comes and finds you gone."

Albert thought to himself for a moment, but shrugged it off. "She will know that I am well enough. I can't stay in the bed no longer. A squadron without its commander is like a horse without its rider. Who will be there to take lead for when you need it? I must return to my men."

"You should not return to quickly, sir."

Albert blew out the candle. In a matter of seconds, he reached the entrance, standing eye to eye with Moritz. "I assure you, Moritz, I am well enough to return."

It had been four weeks since his accident and he had barely moved during that period, let alone operate his airplane—but he was confident enough to attempt it.

A calming morning breeze blew steadily, brushing serenely against Eloise's face as she stepped from her tent. The white linen that covered her head blown partially out of place. She straightened it as she began to walk down the path toward Albert's tent. Her eyes looked to the sky when she heard the familiar sound of planes roaring in the distance. The familiar echo calmed her and she felt a kindred connection with it.

She thought at how much he life had changed from the moment she met Albert. A plane had changed her life forever. Her mind wondered how much more her life could change before the war would come to an end. A yearning in her heart wanted peace to return to the quaint villages and she wanted to return to the quaintness of her Belgian cottage more than anything.

The days passed seemed to pass by quickly at the airfield as Eloise continued to nurse Albert. Within three weeks, Albert's injures had begun to heal nicely. The pains had left the wounds and the bleeding had ceased—he was well on his way to returning to the air. She assumed that her days with flying squadron were numbered, so she made the best of everyday she had there.

She began to hum a tune to herself as she walked the dirt path. Her eyes roamed around the camp, studying every careful detail. She stopped beside Moritz's tent and looked inside. Propped up on a pedestal was a large propeller and beside it was a part from the engine of his plane. She could see his head of dark hair bobbing behind Seated behind the shiny steel parts was Moritz. She could see the familiar stains of black grease smeared across his square face.

"Why are you not flying today?" She questioned Moritz, momentarily startling him.

He glanced up with surprised eyes and came out from behind his part. She could see that he was still wearing his flying gear—a black leather coat and dark gray trousers. The bulky goggles were tossed at his side as if they had just been removed.

"I have already flown my mission, Miss Eloise," He paused looking over at his propeller and engine, laughing slightly. "but the only enemy I had to face in the air was a bird. He took my plane down far worse than any Frenchman ever could."

"I am glad that you are well, sir." She replied kindly, surveying the damage that the bird had caused on his airplane parts. "It could have ended badly on your part."

"I know, but luckily the bird was the only one injured today." His wide smile quickly faded as did his lilting voice, which soon turned serious. "I don't know if I would say that I was lucky, but I arrived back in time to an important telegraph."