Episode 43 Uncovered

Claudia turned just in time to see the tow of Jen's pink converse catch on the top step, the tray of hot coffees went flying, Claudia heard Lisa scream beside her, then she was hit with a splash of brown liquid.

Claudia gasped for breath and froze where she stood, when the shock wore off she realized that she didn't have any first-degree burns- because of course, any coffee that Garbage Girl brought wouldn't be anything but lukewarm. Jen had fallen down the two steps and lay face first on the floor in front of Claudia and Lisa- in the splash puddle of coffee.

"Are you alright!?" several voices asked at once.

"Um- I think so." Jen mumbled as she rose her face from the rug.

"Not you! Are you burnt!?" Spencer asked rushing to Lisa and Claudia's side.

Lisa squeaked- apparently still in shock.

"We're fine!" Claudia pronounced with an edge of anger, she flicked her hands along her shirt- as if that would dry it! Her shirt was probably forever stained brown! "It wasn't hot."

"I'm sorry." Jen whispered as her brother, Ken, helped her to her feet, there were splotches of brown on her own pink shirt.

"Smooth one." Jackson said sarcastically, as Spencer fussed over Lisa's dripping hair.

"I guess," Maddison's voice sounded strained like she was struggling to sound cheerful, "You're the fifth member of the team."

"Yeah, classic Jen." Jackson confirmed.

This quizzing year was going to suck.

* * *

October 31st, Two months later, Halloween, Waterfront park

Jen sat down between a truck and a car in the parking lot to tie her shoe- her banana costume made it difficult though. For two months Jen had been trying to earn forgiveness from Lisa and Claudia for the 'coffee accident'. Lisa has said she forgave her- but Claudia was still giving her the cold shoulder. Quiz practices were awful! No one wanted to hang out with her- or practice verses with her, and most the time she got stuck with her older brother!

But hopefully things would be getting better soon, Ken had told her that they would be joining another quiz team soon- maybe Jen could make some friends there. Since it seemed all the others had forsaken her.

That was why Jen had gone to the Halloween haunt by herself.

"Who have you got eyes on?"

Jen paused; that was Maddison's voice! She was in the truck that Jen had her back too! Maddison must have opened the drivers door on the other side, allowing Jen to hear her conversation- was she on the phone?

"Names Chick!" Maddison insisted- who was Chick!? Was it a nickname? Something about the tone of Maddison's voice kept Jen in her hiding spot.

"What are they doing?" Maddison asked after a pause, "Ok I'll be there soon. I had eyes on one from my team too- but I lost them just a moment ago- keep a look out for a banana suit."

The truck door slammed and the click of Maddison's heals receded into the twilight, leaving Jen frozen.

'WHAT ON EARTH DID I JUST HEAR!?' her mind screamed, she climbed up and peeked over the truck- she could see Maddison strutting down the path- she would be easy to follow; she wasn't wearing a costume.