She's Mine: Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

She looked up at the ceiling and wanted to scream. Sudden tears were streaming down her face again, and she couldn't understand why she was so abruptly emotional.

Emmy hurried to Eliza and grabbed a tissue to wipe her face, "These tears are supposed to come. You're not supposed to know what to do when you have your first baby, Eliza."

While she cried, Emmy used more tissues to dry the new mother's face.

"You know... when you hired me. You only hired me to help you up until the delivery," Emmy reminded her.

Her mouth was parched, but she tried, "I know, but–"

Emmy interrupted, "Don't. You don't have to say anything, honey. I'm not questioning the decision you made."

"I'm not even sure I'm final with it," Eliza confessed, looking up to lowered eyes that surveyed over the calm infant.

"You're still deciding if you want to keep her?" Emmy grumbled.

Once again, Eliza didn't know what to say. She wasn't sure if she wanted to keep the child. The baby was already an accident, but ever since she was born, Eliza hasn't been able to handle that her world needed to revolve around someone she never prepared for. She was so unsure, she still hadn't give her a name.

"You have the right to make whatever decision you want to make, Ms. Kelly," Emmy mumbled.

"I can't make you want to keep her."

Eliza watched Emmy slowly turn away and stroll into the kitchen. She came back with a small note in her hands, and Emmy told her it was a message from her brother.

"What?" Eliza asked, mortified.

Emmy shrugged with an annoyed look on her face, "Yes. First, he asked me who I was, and when I told him I was the nanny... he paused for a long time before telling me that he would be visiting late into the evening."

Eliza looked down at the tiny fingers that she hadn't realized were balled into a fist and over her breast. She looked back up to find a smile on Emmy's face that she tried to hide as soon as Eliza caught her watching. Eliza took her time to glance at the small hand that bloomed open. Everything was so little, and it made her more nervous to witness who she had carried for almost nine months.

Within minutes, the doorbell rang, and it startled both women.

"Don't get up," Emmy demanded with a point as she quickly hurried to the door.

After a few mumbles, Eliza saw her brother drifting around the corner. He had to have come straight from the enterprise building since he was dressed in his finely-tailored suit. Pete's work and home were at least an hour away, and his sister was utterly surprised that he had traveled during the weekday to see her. However, visits to her apartment were rare, and his uncanny presence and veil of red had her shaken up. Peter's eyes were threatening to shoot from his head, while his lips parted at the sight of his older sister cradling an infant– let alone to feed.

Emmy hurried back and gently placed a soft pink, blanket over Eliza's shoulder and the baby's head.

"Eliza. What in the hell is going on?" Peter asked with narrowed eyes, filled with shock.

She sadly lifted up her chin and stated, "I had a baby, Pete."

"What?!" he shouted, and Emmy immediately scowled at him.

The baby's loud guest interrupted her so much that she began to cry. Eliza was shocked at the sudden change in his reaction, but Emmy quickly removed the infant from her arms.