"Both of them," Harry adds in, smiling as he does.

"I saw her on the way up," Layla tells him all of a sudden, searching through the paper bags on the counter to check if Harry has bought the correct ingredients. "She didn't see me. She was laughing with her two friends from high school. They seemed...nice."

Harry leans a shoulder against the doorframe as he stares at his friend in amusement after hearing what she said. "Okay, what is it?"

"What do you mean what?"

"I know that tone." Not only does he know it, he's also way too familiar with it. "You're jealous."

"I am not!"

"You certainly are! You're jealous of her best friends, aren't you?" Harry cracks up. The moment Layla shoots him a dead glare, he knows right away that his assumption is correct. With his hands behind his back, he approaches her with a huge smirk on his face which he knows drives her mad.

"Making fun of me all the time, and now you're jealous!" He playfully sings each word, receiving an eye-roll from Layla.

"You're a child, I'm not wasting my time talking to a child."

"Well, if Y/N was here she would talk to me, too bad she's out having fun with her. Best. Friends."

"Okay, that's it!" Layla huffs and grabs a carrot on the plate nearby, just about to toss it at him when they hear the doorbell ring. It cannot be Niall because he never rings the bell, but Harry isn't expecting any other party guests, at least not this early.

So he leaves the kitchen to go see who it is. Surprisingly, it's not anyone on Harry's guest list. It's the last person on Earth he would expected to show up at their door.

It's Y/N's mother.

"Mrs. Y/L/N!" Harry's whole body turns to stone the second he sees her face. It's been a long time since they last met at Y/N's brother's wedding. They didn't speak then but he knew she still hated him for thinking he wasn't a match for her daughter.

"Y/N is not home."

"I know, she's out with her friends, I asked them to take her out so I could come here," the woman says calmly.

There's something about her that makes Harry feel so alarmed. He swallows hard when she takes in a sharp breath then lets it all out.

"I'm here to see you."

...

Niall bursts through the kitchen door with those eggs Harry asked him to buy. He's all out of breath from but as soon as he enters the room, everyone's already in the process of baking.

"You took too long! Lucky for us, Y/N's mother brought some eggs," Layla answers without waiting for her boyfriend to question.

That's when Niall finally notices the presence of a stranger in the kitchen, who's instructing Harry how to properly beat the batter.

"Just leave those on the table young man," she tells Niall without looking at him. "If Harry ruins this cake we'll make another."

"Heeey!" Harry furrows his eyebrows at the older woman who looks so unbothered if he's really offended.

Niall has never met Y/N's mum, he's only heard stories about her from Harry, which is why his impression of her is not positive, at all. He quickly apologizes the older woman and his girlfriend before dragging his best friend out of the kitchen to have a word with him in private.

"Why is she here? She's going to ruin Y/N's birthday!" Niall worriedly tells Harry, at the same time keeping his voice down because the walls aren't that thick.