"How about this Friday night?" She asked, and he agreed.

"Friday night it is."

.

.

.

One week had passed in a blink of an eye, and Harry's birthday finally arrived.

Y/N placed the last candle on the cake she'd spent hours in the kitchen on making. She secretly prided herself on how it didn't look like a pile of vomit, nor taste like one. Now she couldn't wait to hear Harry's comment on it.

She knew he would go to that coffee shop to study like he'd been doing this entire week. So as soon as he left their flat in the morning, she got the ingredients ready, and phoned Niall to make sure there wouldn't be just the three of them at the party. When she finished preparing the food, she had to run out to buy the decorations. Of course, shedidn't get any help from his friends, so she had to decorate the flat all on her own. Her hard work did pay off though. Everything was now ready for Harry to come home.

She asked him when he would be back and he said at around 7 PM. Now it was 6:45, the guests were all here and Y/N was extremely nervous. She felt like she was going to war when it was just a party. She had thrown surprise birthday parties so many times before. What made his so different from the others? She would love to figure that out, but at a different time. Now she must make sure everything went as planned.

"Martin just texted me saying Harry is in the parking lot. He'll be here any minute. Remember not to make a sound, everyone! When he opens the door, we'll turn the lights on and shout happy birthday, okay?"

"Why are we here again?" A guy whispered to Niall, and Niall shushed him immediately. As soon as Y/N turned off all the lights, everyone got into their position and put on their party hats. Y/N stood right by the door with both hands on her heaving chest. She couldn't wait to see the look on Harry's face when he saw everything she'd set up for him.

The lift finally arrived and Harry stepped out, followed by Alyssa. He checked his phone but there was no message from his flatmate. He'd texted her about Alyssa coming over, and it wasn't like her to not reply in less than three seconds. Still, he didn't think much of it and assumed she was just busy making dinner or taking a shower.

"So before I meet Y/N, tell me a bit about her," Alyssa spoke up when Harry pulled out the keys.

"Well, I don't know," he murmured. Nobody had ever asked him this question before, so he had never thought of how he would answer it. "She's quite...annoying, I guess. She always speaks too much. Sometimes I only pretend to listen because I don't want to be rude. And she's very uptight, not someone I'd hang out with, you know what I mean?" He shrugged and turned the key. "I'm only living with her because she pays half the rent. If it weren't for the money, I-"

That sentence was forever unfinished because the first thing Harry saw when he opened the door was the hurtful look on his flatmate's face. The lights came on. Niall and many of his friends were standing in the living room with balloons in their hands. And there was a whole freaking cake on the table. This was a nightmare come true, but nothing could be worse than the look Y/N was giving him.

"Well, this is awkward..." Niall spoke but nobody paid attention to him. All the guests were waiting for Y/N's reaction to what Harry had just said about her.

"Y/N, I-" He stuttered, but she didn't want to wait for his insincere apology. She pulled off her hat, tossed it in a corner, and stormed off without a word to him. It took him two seconds to realize what had happened and hurriedly follow her

"Okay, the party's over! Get out everyone, get out!" Niall clapped loudly to get people's attention. Then he forced everyone out of the flat, holding the door open for them. "Trix, stay away from those cupcakes! Okay, fine, you can have one! Just one! Hurry! Jake, why are you still standing there? Move it! And you too, the pretty lady I've never seen before!"