Decisions to be made Part 9

Ubbe's POV

Ubbe's POV

I watch the fire crackle and spit in silence, the only sound being the wind outside and the occasional sigh from Eydis. The flames dance before me as I stare at the girl in my bed, my heart overcome by feelings I can't decipher. Over an hour has passed since she fell asleep, but I can't bare to wake her. Having her here, having her in my bed... I can't help but to savor it, even under such odd circumstances. It's something I never thought I'd have. Not anymore. I never expected her and Hvitserk to become so attached as they were, it all happened so quickly. I've watched Eydis for so long, I've always been drawn to her, her beauty inside and out. She is so much more than a pretty face. She's smart, she thinks for herself, and she's fierce as a whip. There is no one else like her, and yet... I've always kept my distance. I always told myself I would confess my feelings for her one day, but one day never came. I tried to convince myself what I felt for her wasn't real. Of course I was wrong. If I had known things would move so fast between her and my brother, I would have done something. Said something.

I absentmindedly drum my fingers on my cup, stoking the fire before me. I sigh back in to my chair and close my eyes, tired from the night. As I drift off to sleep I hear something outside. I jolt out of my almost slumber and rub my eyes, trying to wake up and focus. Someone outside is yelling. I stand from my chair, looking to Eydis. Her long, beautiful hair is strewn across my pillow, a blanket pulled to her chin. Her mouth is slightly open, little snores escaping her mouth. I smile to myself before tearing my eyes from her and focusing on the task at hand. I grab my cloak and walk quietly to the door, opening it as softly as possible. I slip through the door, closing it gently behind me as another yell ripples through the crisp night air.

"Come on Eydis, talk to me!" My brother Hvitserk stands on Eydis's stoop, his head against the door. I watch for a moment as he stumbles down the steps into the snow, trying to regain his footing before half heartedly charging the door once more. He knocks again, this time without much force.

"She isn't there, brother." I say, stepping in to the moonlight. I lean against a wooden shaft, and pull my cloak tighter to me as the snow falls. Hvitserk turns around quickly, his face flushed.

"Ubbe! What do you mean she isn't here? Where else would she be?" He says, now walking to me. He runs his hands over his face, his eyes look tired.

"She is in my cabin, asleep. I think it's best you leave her be for tonight. She is very angry, but I think she will give you a chance to explain yourself. Just let her rest. She drank quite a bit tonight too."

"In your cabin? Why is she there? Did something happen?" His brows furrow as he speaks, a genuine concern crossing his face.

"Well... no. Nothing happened. She just forgot to keep her fire during the feast. I lit her hearth for her, she came here until it was warm, but I let her lay down and she fell asleep. Like I said, just let her rest. Go home and come to her tomorrow."