Mike was silent for a moment, considering me. "How do you feel about kids?"

"Other than that they belong on leashes? What else is there to say?" I looked through the price tags again, taking a couple things out of the cart.

"But would you ever, like, I don't know- have kids?"

"I don't have a uterus, Miguel." I said absently, not really listening as I checked the size of a sweater and swapped it out for a bigger one.

He sighed, "You know what I'm asking, Derrick."

I thought about it briefly, "No."

"No?" he said like someone had knocked the wind out of him, "Not even a dog?"

"A dog? The kind of animal that would ruin my paintings? And get dog hair everywhere?" I frowned, "No thanks."

"Interesting." Mike said.

"Why do you sound-"

He completely interrupted me, looking at our cart, "When's your next session with the new doctor?"

I tensed, "Tomorrow."

Mike squeezed my shoulder, "It must be hard, having to relive what you remember."

I shrugged his touch away, wanting to revisit the child thing. "Did you want kids or something?"

He looked at me with something I didn't understand, "I do."

I blanched, "Like, now?"

The corner of Mike's mouth turned upwards and he laughed slightly, brushing a hand down my shoulder. "Eventually, Derrick."

"What does eventually even mean? Five years from now, ten?"

Mike shrugged again. It was annoying because I didn't understand what he meant by it. "Eventually, just means eventually."

We made our way to the check out when Mike said something again, as though just recalling something. "I forgot to tell you. I'm going to a dinner tonight."

"Oh?" I said, wondering if I could secretly put back some of the Christmas stuff, "Who's party?"

"Cheryl is having a birthday party and-"

I stopped walking and the cart rolled into my ankle, "Shit!" I said bending down and rubbing at the tender skin.

Mike came over, "Sorry, you just stopped walking so suddenly."

"It's fine." I said continuing to rub what felt like a swelling ankle, "What did you say about Cheryl?"

"She invited us to her birthday party. It's just at a lounge."

I looked up at him kneeling beside me, "She didn't invite me, did she?"

Mike looked up and away beginning to stand, "You coming is implied, of course."

"Of course." I echoed sarcastically.

Mike's face got tight, "Listen, if you don't want me to go then-"

"No, it's fine." I said evenly, "I hope you have fun."

"I want you to come with me Derrick. Cher knows we're together now, anyways. It'll be fine. Her other friends will bring their dates, too. It will be fun." Mike rustled my hair affectionately,