Chapter 17

Chapter 17~

-Heidi-

I storm out of the building upset and also confused. Why did I just have such a mood swing? As I get further into town, I slip into a coffee shop for food and an application. Playing for tips can still be a hobby, but a real job is what’s needed.

“Hello, what can I get for you today!” the cheery teen giggles. I smile kindly and grab a dollar.

“Just a small cream cheese pie, to go.” I hand her the dollar and proceed to sit at a nearby table. I tap my fingers and lean on my arm waiting for my snack.

“Hey Heidi! What are you doing here?”  A soft voice greets. I turn and my eyes land on Jade. My teeth break my lips just barely and I signal for her to sit. She orders and joins me at the small round table.

“I was going to meet you at the fountain, but I got tired and came for an energy booster,” Jade says, nonchalantly. I cross my legs offended, but sorry.

“I didn’t mean to make you wait so long. I had a long night and a bit of a morning,” I sigh, twiddling my thumbs. I feel awkward, like everyone is staring at me. And a little lightheaded.

“I can tell, you have a little something on your neck,” Jade laughs, gesturing to her neck. I reach up and touch the hickey. Painless, still unwelcome. My eyes meet Jade’s and we laugh together,” me and Kevin kinda…expressed our feelings and one thing led to another.”

“Oh! Speaking of feelings, I met this guy last night and we had a pretty good time. I just ran into him on the side walk. I was in a rush and we bumped, I fell, and next thing I knew, he was holding my hand and helping me up.  We got to talking and now he’s gonna treat me to some dinner tonight! You want to come?!” Jade leans on the table getting over excited. I nod happily and Jade whips out her phone.

“Number 11, your order is ready!” The teen calls to me. I hop up quickly and grab my food, then head toward the exit.

“Wait, Heidi, where are you going? Don’t you wanna see what he says?” Jade asks, stopping me halfway out of the door. I shake my head and close the door,” I ordered to go.”

“That doesn’t mean you can’t still sit with me,” Jade grins, pulling me back over to the table. I sit and laugh at her persistency to keep me. I tear open the plastic fork and sink it into the cream cheese pie.  I close my lips over the fork and feel serene at the taste.

“So, he said yeah! You and Kevin have to come to dinner with us tonight. We can have one of those double dates!” Jade says excitedly,” You have to come to my apartment to help me pick out an outfit, and possibly even get you a nice dress to wear.”

 I clutch Jade’s hands tightly in mine, resting my elbows on the table. Not quite sure if I actually want to do this. Not ready for dates with others. Just want to be alone with Kevin and start working on this.

“Jade, I really don’t know. I haven’t been on an actual date since I was 16 and even then, it was terrible. Do you think I could possibly meet this guy before tonight? I’m just not comfortable,” I sigh. Jade nods and runs to get her order. I glide my fingers through my hair, not looking forward to this as much as Jade is.

“Are you and Kevin officially dating then? Since you quote unquote ‘expressed your feelings’?” Jade grins, sipping at her coffee. My cheeks burn and I bite at the pie to distract myself. Jade leans on the table awaiting an answer. I eat a little faster trying to further avoid this conversation.

“I’m waiting,” She grumbles , leaning on her hand. I sigh and set my fork down next to the plate.

“Well, I mean, I guess. It sounds weird to say I’m actually his girlfriend, but I love him that way and we’re sort of a couple. I don’t know, ask Kevin at dinner tonight. I think he’d gladly answer that question for you. If he says we’re dating, then we’ll be dating, but I’ll still refer to him as Kevin when talking about him to people,” I mutter, taking her coffee and getting a mouth full.