one , four

Willa would be lying if she said that she was easily accepted into the gang. She was an outsider and, hearing what Kieran Duffy said, the gang wasn't widely known for accepting strangers easily. But he had been an O'Driscoll once, so it made sense that they were hostile to him.

She found that it was easy to get along with some of them, though. Like Charles Smith. He had invited her to go hunting to "test her skills", but they ended up having a pretty good time. She learned a lot with him. And Sadie Adler. She reminded Willa of her mother, so strong, yet broken so at the same time. Able to hold her head high, despite the scars of her past.

Then there were the members that she didn't get along with. Bill was rude, Micah immediately hated her, and Arthur always seemed so hostile around her. She wondered why, and the surprise on the other's faces when he did tell her off was not to be ignored.

Willa found herself on the cliff one day. It fell away to a steep plummet of death, but the sight before her was gorgeous. Rolling hills beneath with a river cutting through. The mountains were clear and visible and the clouds were almost close enough to touch. She could almost see Valentine from where she stood.

"What'cha doin?" A small voice asked from her right. Willa had heard him coming up. Little Jack was looking at the view with wide eyes, almost as transfixed as Willa. She smiled down at him.

"Nothin, Squirt. Is your mama lookin for ya?" Jack shook his head and Willa looked up to make sure. She could see Abigail having an animated conversation with John, "So what's up?" She caught his gaze.

"How many people have you killed?" He looked up at her, eyes rounded. Willa stopped and let out a breath. He had grown up in this life... He knew what happened. She just wasn't prepared to hear it.

"Me? Why do you ask?" She shifted on the rock beneath her.

"Everyone kills people here. I want to one day-- but you have to have killed people to fit in." He kicked a rock and watched it disappear over the edge, hurtling to the ground. Willa swallowed the bile in her throat.

"I didn't kill people for a long time, Jack. It's not something you want to carry around all the time. Having that blood on your hands it... It isn't fun. I've only killed one person, and that was when I met Sean-"

"And now you're here with us." He finished with a smile. Willa nodded, showing her own smile.

"Exactly."

"Jack! Come on and read with Hosea. Quit buggin' everyone!" Abigail called. Jack sighed and turned away with a frown.

"Hey, Jack?" Willa called as a thought popped into her head. He stopped and turned to her, "Please, don't turn out like us."

He held her gaze for a moment, then he left. Willa was frowning when she looked back over the Heartlands. The view hadn't changed.

"Hey, Willa! Come 'ere!" Dutch called, loud enough for everyone in camp to look up. Willa looked at him, then hurried to join the man by the horses, "Mount your horse and come with me. Arthur and John will meet us there later." Willa blinked at him for a moment.

"Uh, o-okay?" Her head was a little light as she hauled the saddle over to Horaz. Why did Dutch want to take her along? She hadn't done anything wrong, had she? Her stallion kept moving around, throwing his head and placing his hooves tentatively. He let out a sharp snort as Willa climbed up onto his back, "Hey, shhh, boy. You're fine."

"You sure you can handle that horse? He has a wild look in his eyes." Dutch observed. Willa sat back and smiled as Horaz calmed.

"He just gets jittery, but once he knows it's fine then he calms right down. And yeah, he's kind'a wild still. Won't take no one else, though." She reached up and scratched between Horaz's ears. Dutch smiled.

"He's a fine horse. Come on, let's get going. Strauss is waiting." Dutch spurred his horse forward and Willa followed closely. Once they were on the open road and looked a bit less suspicious, Willa rode up beside him.

"So, what're we doing out here?" Horaz pricked his ears. Dutch chuckled.

"I just thought you might like to leave camp for a bit. I can tell you're not one for washing clothes and staying in camp all day." He answered quickly. Willa chuckled.

"I've been hunting with Charles a few times."

Dutch looked at her fully, now, "And thank you for that. I'm glad you're contributing to the gang already. Maybe you'll fit in after all." He winked and Willa slowed Horaz a bit.

"Did you doubt me?"

"We're almost there, come on!" He spurred his horse into a gallop and Willa did the same with a quick sigh. No reason in prodding now. They crested the hill and Willa immediately recognized Valentine. Horaz stopped and she had to remember to breathe. Dutch was stopped a couple yards ahead of her.

"I know it might be difficult coming back, but keep your head down and we'll get you through this."

Willa closed her open jaw and nodded to Dutch, easing Horaz forward. Everything told her to turn and run, but Dutch was counting on her and she didn't want to disappoint. So she kept going. They angled it so that they slipped in by the side of a wagon, Willa keeping her eyes on her hands. Dutch eventually stopped and they hurried into the smaller saloon.

Willa was immediately relaxed. There was often no one in this one, and today it was no different. The barkeeper seemed quite surprised to have customers.

"Whiskey. The whole bottle." Willa shoved a couple dollars at the barkeep when he opened his mouth to object. His eyes drifted to the wall and she followed his gaze, only to see a wanted poster with a detailed drawing of her face. Big block letters read "Wanted! $30 Reward. Needed Alive."

She looked back at Dutch, who was watching her expectantly, then she looked back at the barkeeper as she approached the wall and tore the poster off, "Whiskey. The whole bottle." Her voice was slow. He nodded and slid it towards her. She smiled her thanks, sweet as candy, and took a table by the window. Dutch sat across the table from her.

"So, what are we actually doing here?"