Chapter Seven: Trouble

CHAPTER SEVEN

Memphis looked at the slip of paper in his hand. He'd found it in his mailbox that morning when he got to work. The boss, Cory Maxwell, wanted to see him. Cory was about forty-five and one of the nicest people on the planet. He had given Memphis a job twelve years ago, even though he wasn't qualified for it in the slightest. But Cory knew that Memphis needed the job more than the others. It hadn't been what Memphis had wanted to do, working in a mill, but it paid well and he needed a job. With his kids going into school that fall, Cory made sure that his shifts never started until after he'd dropped off the kids at school. That way, he'd only have to get a sitter after school. And luckily, his Kinda-Sorta-Aunt Katie volunteered to do it.

But now, standing here holding this note, Memphis had a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. Things were rough right now and lots of people were losing their jobs. The economy just wasn't what it used to be. Memphis had thought surely with twelve years, he'd be safe.

Memphis stood beside Viki's desk. She was Cory's secretary. She was about thirty and blushed every time she saw Memphis. Viki hung up the phone and told Memphis he could go in and see "The Boss" now. Memphis thanked her and she looked down at her computer and didn't say anything.

Memphis knocked and opened the door. Cory was sitting at his desk on the phone. He signalled for Memphis to come in and have a seat.

So, he did. He sat down across for Cory and waited. Cory jotted a couple notes down and then thanked the person on the phone and hung up.

"Sorry about that, Memphis. Damn phone never stops ringing around here."

Memphis nodded but didn't say anything.

"So," Cory said clapping his hands together. "We should probably just get right down to business, shouldn't we?"

"I suppose."

Cory nodded. "Yeah... Listen Memphis, I have some bad news. Things are rough right now and we have to do some lay offs."

Memphis rubbed his eyes with one hand. He'd figured it was coming but somehow hearing it still felt like a stab in the gut.

"I don't... Cory... I..." He couldn't even figure out a sentence.

"I'm so sorry Memphis. I know you got those kids and everything. And I feel really bad about this."

"I've been here for twelve years. How can I possibly be at the bottom of the list?"

"There are a lot of lay offs. Twenty-five people so far this round, forty the last time... and I don't think that's the end of it."

"Twenty-five people are out of their jobs?"

"Like I said, it's really rough right now."

"Cory, this mill is the only thing in this town. You start laying people off... the whole town is going to die."

"Trust me, Memphis, this is not my doing. I'd love nothing more than to hire more people. But my hands are tied. There's just no demand right now."

"Is there... anything I can do? Like janitor work or anything? You said the phone doesn't stop ringing, I can answer phones."

Cory's eyes dropped. Memphis could tell it was killing him to do this. He wasn't trying to make it harder on him, he was just in a panic. Three kids. They were sixteen and at least two of them were going to college and even though he'd been saving since the day they were born, it wasn't enough right now.

"I'm sorry Memphis. I really am. But the little bit of good news. You get one week pay per year you've been here, plus because you've been here for over ten years, we're going to pay you out your unused sick time and vacation time. So that should keep you going for a little bit."

Memphis looked down at his dirty old boots. "Sure... great."

"I'm really sorry, Memphis. You're a good employee."

"Yeah. Thanks."

Memphis stood up and shook hands with Cory and then turned around and left. He shut the door and leaned up against it. He put his hands over his face and let out a deep sigh. Then realized Viki was there.

He looked over at her. As soon as their eyes met, she turned her head away from him and went back to typing on her computer.

"Well, Viki, I guess I'll see you around," Memphis said.

She looked over at him and pressed her lips together. "Are you out too?"

Memphis nodded and started to walk away. She stood up so quickly, her chair fell backwards. "Memphis!"

He turned around and looked at her. She ran her hands along the skirt of her yellow, flowered sun dress that reminded Memphis of something Cheyanne used to wear when she was ten.

"Yes?"

"It was nice working with you."

Memphis smiled. "You too, Viki."

Then he turned and left.