Chapter Four: Wheeler House

CHAPTER FOUR

Memphis walked into the house and threw his keys down on the table beside the door. He went into the kitchen where he found one of his kids sitting at the table. Aurora had the newspaper open, though she didn't seem that interested in the story. She looked up at her dad and smiled. She pulled out the sports section and passed it to him.

He took the paper and set a coffee down on the table in front of her and kissed the top of her head. Aurora was wearing her contacts instead of her glasses today. She had her light brown hair pulled back into a braid and she was wearing a white t-shirt and a black skirt. She was the spitting image of her mother and it threw him off sometimes. Luckily, her personality wasn't anything close to Isabelle's.

"Morning Daddy," Aurora said, smiling with her pink lip gloss lips.

"Morning Angel. Where are your siblings?"

"Well, Cheyanne's in the bathroom and I think Dayton's still sleeping."

Memphis dropped his head and shook it. "Of course, he's still sleeping. Why would I think Dayton would be on time for the first day of school? He's never been on time for anything in his life. Why start now?"

Memphis walked over to the closed door that was off the kitchen. He pounded on the door with an open palm. "Dayton! Get up!"

Memphis went back into the kitchen and leaned against the counter, taking a sip of his coffee. Cheyanne came bounding down the stairs. She had wavy blonde hair and his blue eyes. She was tall and lean but strong and confident. She was wearing a low-cut top that didn't seem to be doing a good job of holding in her boobs. She also had a very short red skirt on and five inch black heels. And, she was wearing way too much make-up. She definitely didn't look sixteen and it made Memphis nervous.

She walked over to Memphis and kissed him on the cheek. She picked up one of the coffees that was still in the tray.

"Cheyanne?"

"Yes Daddy?"

"You're kidding, right?"

"Possibly... What was the punch line?"

Memphis folded his arms and looked at her.

"What am I missing?" she asked glancing back and forth between Memphis and Aurora.

"The other half of your clothes?" Aurora offered.

"Shut up, Aurora."

"Hey," Memphis said. "Don't talk to your sister like that. And go put some clothes on."

"I have clothes on."

"Yeah... but not enough. Go put on some more."

"But Daddy..."

"Don't want to hear it. Just do it ok?"

Memphis went over to the shut door. He curled his hand into a fist and pounded on the door again. "DAYTON! GET UP NOW OR I'M COMING IN WITH THE HOSE."

"I'm not changing. I look good," Cheyanne continued to protest.

"DAYTON NOW! Yeah Cheyanne, that's kind of the problem. You're not wearing that to school, so go change."

"Give me one good reason."

"Because I'm your father and I said so."

"That's not a reason."