Chapter Six: Aurora and Cheyanne's Friends

CHAPTER SIX

Aurora walked over to her best friend Tina. Tina had her black hair pulled back into a ponytail and she was searching through her bag for something.

"Tina, hey. How's it going?"

"I can't find my first day of school pen."

"Your what?" Aurora asked.

"I've used this same pen on the first day of school every single year since fourth grade and I can't find it. Where is my pen? Where Aurora? Where?"

"I really don't know."

"This whole year is ruined. Total write off already."

"Because of a pen?"

"My first day of school pen!" Tina shouted. People around them stared.

"Ok, alright. Calm down," Aurora said.

"Do you have English second period?"

"With the new English teacher? Sure do."

"I heard she was Mrs. Hartnell's cousin or something."

"Ah, nepotism at it's finest," Aurora said.

"There's a new math teacher too. Mr. Armstrong."

"He's not new. He went to this school."

"Not new to the town but new to teaching. Plus, he's hot. Apparently, my sister had a fling with him senior year and she still speaks very fondly of their night together, if you know what I mean?" Tina said.

"That's gross."

"He's super hot."

"Yeah, you covered that."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is it wrong to think a teacher is hot?" Tina said putting her hand on her hip.

"He's just old."

"He's twenty-three. He's not even that old. Plus, I think your dad's hot."

"OK, eww."

Tina shrugged. "Pretty sure every girl who's gone through puberty thinks your dad's hot."

"Are you finished?"

Tina took a deep breath and stood quietly, staring out at the crowd of people walking around.

"Please tell me you aren't thinking about my dad right now?"

"You shouldn't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to."

"Oh my God!" Aurora put her hands over her ears and walked away.

* * * * * * *

Cheyanne went to her locker. She had to double check the number. She didn't understand why she couldn't have the same one she had last year. She took off her hoodie and shoved into her locker. She also pulled off the blue t-shirt she had put on to cover up the halter top Memphis objected to earlier. She shoved it into her locker.

Larissa walked up to her and leaned her back against the locker beside Cheyanne. Larissa was on her phone, scanning through the endless feeds on her social media. She looked over at Cheyanne.

"You do know Mr. Olsen's going to have an aneurism when he sees you wearing that?" Larissa said, who was wearing a black t-shirt with a pair of jeans that were so tight they left nothing to the imagination. She had her red hair loose around her shoulders and she was wearing her classic shade of red lipstick.

"Mr. Olsen's a pervert who probably won't be able to stop looking at my boobs long enough to put a sentence together."

"I think he'll manage long enough to tell you to change your clothes."

Cheyanne shrugged and went back to using her locker mirror to touch up her makeup.

"Summer was way too short. Why are we stuck back in this prison? Life sucks. You know they don't make kids go to school in other countries," Larissa said in a whiny voice.

"Seriously? Like what countries?"

"You know, the third world countries."

"Lucky."

"Right?"

Mr. Olsen was walking down the hallway, his head in a file folder that was open in front of him. He seemed occupied by the file and Larissa and Cheyanne both froze to watch him walk by.

He paused and lifted his head. He took two steps back and turned his head towards Cheyanne.

"Good morning, Mr. Olsen," Cheyanne said in a sweet voice.

"Miss Wheeler. You know what I'm going to say, so why don't we skip to the part where you just do what you're supposed to?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"The dress code, Miss Wheeler. You're outfit currently is not in accordance with it."

"What's wrong with my outfit?"

"Miss Wheeler, it's the first day of school. I really don't want to get into this already. So how about you put on something that complies with the school's policy on what's acceptable to be worn on school property or I'll call your father."

"Mr. Olsen. Are you aware that dress codes are nothing more than society's way to supress women? You are creating a rape culture by telling me that I should cover up instead of telling the boys that they should respect women. It's hot outside and your air conditioning sucks. It's not fair to tell me I must wear all these clothes just so I don't make the boys uncomfortable. It's misogynistic and quite frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself for promoting such a sexist environment in your school."

"Are you finished?"

"I believe so."

"Change your shirt, Miss Wheeler, before the bell rings or I'll call your father and send you home."

"Way to promote women's rights, Mr. Olsen." Cheyanne pulled her shirt out of her locker and put it on over top of the other one.

"Happy now?"

"Delighted."

Cheyanne shut her locker with a bang and walked down the hall with Larissa. The girls passed Lucy and Natalie who had watched the whole thing.

"So that was Cheyanne. She's one of Memphis's triplets. She'll be in you fourth period class. The other two will be in your second period. They're heading for the Ivy leagues whereas, we'll all just be happy if Cheyanne graduates."

"She seems smart," Natalie said.

"She is. They all are. Just not in the same way. Trust me."