Chapter Five: Dayton's Friends

CHAPTER FIVE

Memphis pulled his truck up to the curb and put it into park. Cheyanne sat in the backseat with her arms folded and a scowl on her face. She scanned the front lawn of the school to see if any of her friends were able to see her.

She pulled on her hoodie and flipped the hood up over her head. She pulled it down lower over her eyes and hopped out of the truck. She didn't pause. She just headed straight for the school.

Aurora and Dayton looked out the window and watched her weave in and out of the crowds.

"It's like ninety degrees. Not conspicuous at all to wear a hoodie," Dayton said shaking his head.

Aurora leaned forward over the seat and kissed Memphis on the cheek. "Good-bye Daddy."

"Have a good day, baby."

Aurora got out of the truck.

"Later Dad," Dayton said getting out of the truck and heading across the lawn. He saw Jason, and Chris standing under a tree talking about Chris's new truck. He walked over to them and set his bag down on the ground.

"Dayton, what's up?" Jason asked in sign language. Jason had been born deaf. He never spoke, he only signed.

"Hey Jason. Not much," Dayton signed back. Jason could read lips but Chris and Dayton always signed while they were talking. Sometimes they didn't even say anything out loud. It was actually kind of cool, because most people had absolutely no idea what any of them were saying.

"Hey Chris," a couple of sophomore girls said as they walked by in tight cut-off jeans. Chris turned around and smiled at them and watched them walk by.

"Does every girl want you?" Dayton said shaking his head.

Chris looked at him and smiled. "What's the matter, Day? You jealous?"

"I just don't get what they find so attractive."

Chris looked over his shoulder across the lawn at some of the students who were weaving in and out of groups, stopping and talking to each other.

"So, Dayton. Your sister single?" Chris asked.

Dayton looked over his shoulder expecting to see Cheyanne but he couldn't pick her out of the crowd. He noticed Aurora looking through a book.

"You mean Aurora?" Dayton asked, surprise in his voice.

"I sure as hell don't mean Cheyanne. So, unless you got another sister I don't know about. I mean, come on. She's super hot."

"What's wrong with Cheyanne?" Jason asked.

"You got a thing for Cheyanne?" Chris asked.

"You got a thing for Aurora?" Jason fired back.

"What's happening right now?" Dayton said.

"Cheyanne has a boyfriend," Chris pointed out. "Luke Jensen. The captain of the basketball team. He's like nine feet tall. And a farm boy. He'd destroy you if he ever knew you were looking at her."

"Maybe Aurora has a boyfriend? Dayton?" Jason said looking at Dayton.

Dayton blinked several times. "I don't think so."

"See, Aurora's single. Cheyanne's taken."

"So? Luke Jensen's a dick. Cheyanne can do better," Jason said.

"You think you're better than Luke Jensen?" Chris said.

"Seriously, what's happening?" Dayton said again.

"Aurora's hot."

"Dude, that's my sister," Dayton said.

"She's hot. It's a compliment," Chris fired back.

"You're an idiot," Jason said to Chris.

"Me? You're the one who wants to fight Luke Jensen."

"I don't want to fight him," Jason said. "I just think Cheyanne can do better. Do you see how possessive he gets whenever another guy talks to her? And it's not like he doesn't flirt with other girls right in front of her. He's a tool."

Dayton stared at Jason for a few seconds and then turned to Chris. "Why are you suddenly looking at Aurora? You've known her for years."

Chris stared across the lawn at Aurora. "Did she always look like that?"

"As far as I know."

"She's hot."

"I'm leaving," Dayton said walking away from them.

Dayton walked up the path towards the front doors of the school. Matt Moore was heading in the same direction and intentionally ran into Dayton's shoulder. He pushed Dayton hard when they collided, sending him onto the ground on his back. Dayton looked up at him but he just laughed. His buddies made snide little comments and laughed too.

"What the hell?" Dayton shouted, climbing to his feet. Matt high-fived one of his buddies.

"What's the matter? Can't even take a hit?"

"Can't run and cry when you're out on the field. Think anybody's going to care if you get hit?" Matt asked.

"This isn't football," Dayton said.

Chris and Jason walked up behind Dayton for backup. Dayton looked over his shoulder at them.

Matt started to laugh again. "You don't belong on the football team. Only reason you made it is because Daddy's the coach."

"Yeah, you keep talking, Matt," Chris said.

"Whatever," Matt said. "This is going to be fun."

They started to walk away but Matt turned back and pointed at Dayton with both hands. "Don't forget, Daddy isn't always around. You should try to watch your back a little more."

"Why's that?" Dayton yelled. "Because some guys hit you from behind because they're too cowardly to do it when you can see it coming?"

Matt turned around and looked at him. Dayton thought he was going to come back but instead he just shook his head. "Watch your back, Wheeler."

"What a tool," Jason said.

"That guy needs to be taken down a peg. He's not even that tough," Dayton signed back without speaking.

"He doesn't have to be," Jason said. "He's got the whole football team behind him."

"Thanks for reminding me." He picked up his backpack and went into the school.