The Not-So-Perfect Combination

Today was a relaxing day for Charlotte. At the end of the summer, she was glad to have a solid week where she didn't have a thing to do. In all reality however, she was bored out of her mind. Jack had gone to training, insisting that he do it alone without her serving as a distraction for him, so Charlotte stood in the kitchen looking into her refrigerator for something to cook for dinner. After a while, she decided she would pack up the ingredients and head to his house to have it ready for when he got home.

Thinking back, Charlotte was surprised at how easily they transitioned now that their intentions were clear. They still crashed each others houses, went out on some evenings and supported each other. The only real change was the fact that Jack now held no restraint in the way he physically interacted with her. His touch lingered purposefully and Charlotte's knees always turned to jelly when he kissed her or simply wrapped her up in his arms.

Thinking of this, she smiled to herself as she stirred the chicken, pasta, sauce, and seasonings all together in a pot. When she heard Jack's car pull into the driveway, she put the toast in the oven and retrieved some glasses from the cupboard.

"What a pleasant surprise," Jack strolled into the kitchen and pressed a kiss to Charlotte's cheek.

She hummed and directed him back to kiss her lips with her hand on the underside of his chin. "How was training?" Since his new trainer came into town, he'd been adjusting to the new style, but enjoying it nonetheless. 

"Good. Making more progress." He shrugged. 

"Sounds good. Go up and shower, I'll have your food ready when you come back down." She nudged him away and nodded toward the staircase.

He hummed, "Yes ma'am."

She took her time pouring their drinks and plating the food. When that was done, she connected her phone to his home speaker and began a playlist with artists like Anita Baker, Luther Vandross, Al Greene, and an endless list of others.

Charlotte could tell he had gotten out of the shower when she heard his deep voice gently singing along to Anita's lyrics.

I saw your face

And then I knew

We would be friends

He rounded the corner and found her setting their glasses down on the sleek coffee table of his living room. They found each other's eyes and at that moment, he swore, Charlotte could never go wrong.

She really was a sight to behold, swaying slightly to the soft music and mouthing the words. Her face was void of any makeup but her smile glimmered in the dimly lit space. She was only wearing a plain white blouse and black linen shorts. Her feet were bare and her curls hung around her face, unconstrained and just the way he liked it.

When you love me, I smile

I feel your hands and you feel mine

You bring me joy

"Come sit," Charlotte waved him over.

They shared grace and ate while engaging in their usual conversation consisting of their day's events and some plans for the near future. After they finished up their dishes, Charlotte deposited them in the kitchen before returning and settling back in from of him.

"What made you do this?" He perused looking across the table at her.

She playfully frowned while shrugging her shoulders. "I wanted to come over and cook for you, spend some time with you."

"And with red wine." Jack glanced at his glass and the freshly opened bottle sitting beside them. "The Isley Brothers and alcohol are a risky combination, Miss Yates."