First Day of College: The Rescue

Começar do início

They can't be proud. I fail them. I completely failed them...

"Someone help! Some call the police!" I heard someone screamed.

There, in front of the campus is a girl with dark hair and light brown eyes panicking. On the floor, is another student who is unconscious. The medics arrived at the scene quickly. I watched as they desperately tried to save the student. Something is not right. They are performing CPR, but I don't think that is the case.

I look at the scene closer. Her skin is blue. Could this be? Oh no.

"Out of my way!" I screamed, scaring the rest of the medics. How can they not see it?

I place my ear to see if she did stop breathing. No, she didn't. She never needed CPR. Her breathing is so faint, anyone would have thought she stopped.

"Give me a flashlight!" I ordered one of the medics.

Confused and surprised, the medic handed me a flashlight. I force her left eyelid open and observe the changes. I did the same with the other. Her pupils are small. This is an opioid overdose!

"It's an opioid overdose," I said to the medics, "Do any of you have naloxone?"

One of the medics handed me the medication. I opened it and administered the dosage. Within two minutes, the student started to respond. Moments later, I noticed the authorities arriving. These medics are not actual medics. They are student medics in training.

The paramedics took the student away and started heading off to the nearest hospital. Everyone was intrigued by my skill.

Medic 1: "Miss, that was amazing! I was scared I may have screwed up."

Medic 2: "How did you know it was an overdose? I felt her breath, but didn't feel anything."

Me: "You have to be wary. Her breath was extremely faint, so it could have passed as something else. I noticed her skin was blue. That is usually a major sign of an overdose.

Medic 3: "We like to have you join our team!"

Medic 1: "You'll be perfect! We recently got certified, but it's obvious that you are well experienced. We can learn so much from you."

Medic 4: "Is she even certified?"

Medic 1: "She looks like it. Look at how she save the girl."

Medic 4: "Are you a certified EMT?"

I smiled. This one is obviously trying to destabilize me, probably out of jealousy. "I am a licensed paramedic."

All eyes were on me. The medics were obviously impressed.

Medic 1: "She's perfect!"

Medic 2: "More than qualify."

Medic 3: "Agree. Our school has its own internal EMS, first responder program. Would you like to join?"

Me: "I'm sorry, but I can't at the moment. I just moved to Mystery Spell. I have a lot to take care of before joining an extracurricular activity."

Medic 4: "If you change your mind, here's my card. Call us any time."

I shook hands with all of them before heading inside the building. Someone grabs my arm. I turned around to find the same girl who was screaming for help earlier.

"Thank you so much for everything. I thought I was going to lose her," she said.

"It's nothing," I said softly.

"My name is Sarah Osborne. What's your name?"

"Layla Vanderveer."

"It's nice to meet you. I hope we can become great friends!"

Friends? I never intended on making any friends.

"Um...I guess," I said.

"So what class are you heading to first," Sarah asked with a bright smile.

"Some ridiculous class call Myths and Legends," I replied, "I didn't have a choice. It was a requirement for my major."

Sarah stared at me with wide eyes. "Ridiculous? That's the university's most popular class! Why do you say ridiculous?"

"Because I don't believe in supernatural creatures or magicks," I replied, "If magick worked, my family would still be here!"

I cover my mouth. Sarah looked at me with sadness in her eyes. I didn't mean to make a bad impression. My mother practiced magick. She claims we are witches, but nothing we did ever work. Even though mother claim certain things happen in ways we didn't expect, I didn't believe in any of it. Mother always told me to believe if I want to unlock my powers. What powers? It's all rubbish.

"I'm so sorry, Layla," said Sarah, "I'm here if you want to talk about it."

"I'll be fine," I said, "I got to head to class. What about you? What class do you have?"

"The same as yours. We can go together if you like."

We both smiled at each other. Before heading off, I spotted Peter from a distance. He is staring at me with his gorgeous green eyes. I noticed he looks uncomfortable but gives me a thumbs up. What's gotten into him? Then it hit me. Was he there the whole entire time? Did he see me rescue that poor student?

Sarah looks in my direction. The moment she saw Peter, her face darkens. "Let's go."

What's up with Sarah? First, she was as radiant as the sun, now she's cold as ice.

I can see Peter's face darken after seeing Sarah's face.

Something is definitely going on between these two. It's obvious that they hate each other.

We both head to the lecture halls and sat in the very first row. Sarah seems more excited about the class than I am. I don't understand why I have to take this course. It has nothing to do with science. It just seems like a waste of time.

"Earth to Layla!" said Sarah.

"Yes?"

"What are you thinking about?" she asked.

"How I find this class useless and a waste of time," I answered dryly.

"Why do you hate this course? It hasn't even started yet."

"Because werewolves, vampires, fairies, witches, all those supernatural creatures don't exist. I don't see why to have a class dedicated to fictional characters," I said.

"You ought to keep an open mind, young lady," said a voice.

Sarah and I both jumped and turned to see who said that. There, standing in front of us, is a handsome, tall gentleman with golden amber eyes, messy black hair, and this strange presence he gives off almost seems wild.

"Why don't you give my class a chance before jumping into conclusions?" he asked.

I nodded nervously. I feel my cheeks burning up in embarrassment. So this must be our professor. Out of all the handsome men I met, he is by far the most intriguing one.

My heart starts palpitating. I can feel my legs shaking. I watched as he walks to his desk. What is this feeling? Why am I suddenly nervous?

"Good morning class. My name is Sebastian Jones, and I will be your instructor for the semester."

Maybe this class will be more interesting than I thought.