chapter 2: day 1

Characters don't belong to me, the mistakes are all mine.
*☆**☆**☆**☆**☆**☆**☆**☆*

That night Merlin didn't get any sleep. He keep reading the text in the books Gaius gave him. Over and over again. By now he was pretty sure that he could recite it word for word. The words blurred together and ran rampage in his head.

It was when the sun's blinding light shined into his eyes that Merlin realized it was morning. He cursed himself and started to get ready for the day.

He threw on his brown jacket and wrapped his neckerchief around his neck as always. He didn't even try to tame his unruly hair. Just brushed it back with his hands and hoped for the best.

The young warlock walked out of his room. He looked around when he stepped out and spotted Gaius still asleep. The mess on the table long been cleaned up and disposed of. Merlin looked at his hands, the only part of his arms that you could see through the bandages. Gaius told him to change them in the morning, but he was already running late. Therefore, he left the room, and a sleeping Gaius behind.

The castle was silent except for the birds chirping here and there, and Merlin's shoes hitting the floor. The morning light blending in with the stone of the walls. As Merlin got closer to the kitchen more sounds entered his ears.

The first one he recognized was that of the cook yelling orders around to the others. When he opened the doors everyone was rushing about. Trying to get everything for the morning complete. When she noticed he was standing by the door, he too got the end of her yells.

"And where have you been boy? Your late!" she yelled at him. Grabbing a sliver plate off the counter. He didn't bother answering her, knowing she really didn't care. And he didn't care to answer, fearing what he would say.

As he predicted she didn't even bother waiting for an answer. Just handed him the silver plate and told him to be on his way, and he did just that.

Merlin made his way up the stairs passing a serving girl on his way. He gave her a nodded of the head and continued on his way to the prince's chambers. The knots in his stomach become tighter the closer he got. He felt like a prisoner on his way to the fire, and if he said the wrong thing then he really would be burned to death.

By the time he actually made it to the door he really wanted to bolt. The stocks didn't sound that bad at the moment. Merlin breathed deeply and pushed the door open.

Arthur wasn't even awake yet. He still laid sound asleep in his king-sized bed. Wrapped in three blankets which Merlin found ridiculous because of the summer heat. Rolling his eyes, forgetting his predicament for a second, he set the silver plate full of sausage, eggs, and bread down.

Then got to work on placing the silverware on the table as well. Taking a look around the room the serving boy noticed the pile of clothes he would have to clean. As well as the chain mail, and armor he needs to polish.

"One day, I was gone one day," Merlin sighed. He shook his head and walked over to the window. Just like every morning he threw open the wooden blinds. Letting the light shine right in Arthur's face. As soon as he heard the prince groan, he knew that he had woken up.

Merlin sighed and tried to get his stomach to settle down before speaking.
"I woke you up late, I'm sorry," Merlin said in a weak voice. Anxiety taking over and he felt like smacking himself. He never said sorry! Arthur is going to know something is wrong!

When Arthur heard the familiar voice he opened his eyes. He sat up when he noted the way Merlin said it. Like he was a child caught doing something they shouldn't.