Not Your Place [2]

TRIGGER WARNING 

It's been three months since I sat down with the woman I now know as Onika.

Shawn's been completely oblivious this entire time. I've been taking her to appointments, buying her food in the middle of the night, buying her baby clothes, cribs, etc.

Within a short time we've grown extremely close. 

I know how it looks but I can't just leave her alone by herself.

I'm not that type of person.

I never have been.

She's young and naive. Two traits that don't help whatsoever when you have a baby.

When I first met her, I'm not going to lie, I had tons of hatred growing in my heart for her and that bundle growing inside of her.

But overtime it's changed into something so pure. 

She's funny, smart, caring, and beautiful. She doesn't deserve to go through this alone. No woman does.

And I won't let her.

"You okay, Bey?" Onika asked with small smile.

I raised my eyebrows in confusion.

I must have been lost in my thoughts again.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." I answered as I grabbed her hand and held it in mines.

We were currently at her appointment for her scheduled ultrasound. I could tell by the sweat on her palms that she was nervous.

She got the news that she was at a high risk pregnancy on the first appointment she'd went to. The rest of that day was filled to the brim with tears, junk food, and movies, and ended in her falling asleep swollen-eyed and snot-nosed with her body covering mines entirely.

It was that night that she had really gotten vulnerable with me. And it was also that night that made me realize that she really couldn't do this alone.

If Shawn wouldn't man up and take his position as the child's father, then I would at least help in any way that I can.

A knock at the door pulled me from my thoughts once more.

"Hello Onika, I'm Doctor Martin,"

"I will be helping you take a look at your little bundle of joy today." An older brown-skinned woman smiled warmly as she shook Onika's hand.

Her attention switched to me.

"You must be Mrs Maraj?" She cheesed as she stuck her hand out.

I heard Nicki stifle a laugh as I shook her hand.

"You two make a beautiful couple, and I bet an even more beautiful baby." She added making my face heat up a bright red.

I looked over at Onika who was now full on smiling at our interaction.

"Oh, we're not together." I smiled shyly.

Her confused glance switched between me and Onika.

"I'm sorry I just thought--"

"It's okay." Nicki cut in with a small smile.

The doctor shook it off before getting on to the ultrasound portion.

"The jelly is going to be a bit cold." Dr Martin reassured before lifting Onika's shirt and applying the clear blue gel to the mid-to-lower part of her stomach.