M O T H E R ' S D A Y

It was usually something Percy celebrated every year with his mother. A day full of fun and blue sweets. A cheesy card, flowers and a day of laughter.

Now all he had was a grave.

An empty grave with not even a body.

The weather didn't seem to understand how he felt. Every Mothers Day in the past was bright and happy. Every Mothers Day in the future would be lonely and dull. That hurt to much to think about.

On chirped the birds happily, singing a song for mothers and their children. The sun shone brightly, perfect weather for a walk in the park. The wind rustled gently. Everything was united in one way or another. Yet here he sat at the foot of a dirt bed.

All alone.

"Hey." Percy jolted at the all too familiar voice. Arms wrapped around Percy from behind. Legs stemmed out from either side of Percy. He was sitting between the legs of this person.

The god nuzzled his face into Percy's neck from behind. "I wondered where you were off to so early. You just up and left." Percy sighed in content at Loki's show of affection. Loki was good at it, and didn't hesitate to show affection when he wanted to.

Suddenly Percy felt guilty. He shouldn't be happy. Not today. Pain crushed his heart as he remembered how she died. The words on her headstone etched into his mind.

In loving memory of Sally Jackson.
Loving mother and wife. Taken tragically from this world during an invasion on Earth.

"Percy." Vibrations tickled Percy's neck.

"Mmm?"

"Don't blame yourself. Her death isn't your fault." Percy cast his eyes down, suddenly taking great interest in the growing grass at his feet.

It was his fault. He should've been there for her when she needed him.

"Percy, you can't do that to yourself."

"Yes I can. I deserve it." Tears gathered in his eyes. It was his fault for everything. Something he could've done here, something he could've done there. A sob caught in his throat. "Today-" his voice hiccuped, "is Mothers Day. We'd- spend this day together and-" this time Percy wasn't stopped by hiccups. Loki had shifted the demigod's body to the side, holding Percy in a cradle and pressed his lips to those of the crying demigod.

Percy gasped in surprise. Loki's lips were soft and gentle against his own, being careful of Percy's emotions. They pulled away and both were breathing a little heavier. Percy's tears had slowed to a halt. He stared into the deep green of Loki's eyes.

"If it's Mothers Day, a day where you celebrate having a mother and all she's done for you, shouldn't you be thinking of her? Shouldn't you think of her in the way she'd like to be remembered? From what you've told me, Sally Jackson was a kind woman who wouldn't want you to inflict this upon yourself. She would want you to remember how happy you were with her then and celebrate how much fun you had in the time you were given with her. Percy, I'm sure she would want you to be happy. So if it's a day of making mothers happy, make your mother happy, by being happy."

Percy squeezed his eyes shut as hot tears started up again. Salty water trailed down his cheeks.

"You should say something to her. Tell her something she'd like to hear, and that you truely mean." Loki murmured.

Percy nodded and turned to face the grave. "Mum-" his voice cracked, "I think... I think I'm doing okay. I miss you, and it's hard without you, but I can survive. I've- met someone. He, yeah, he. Surprise." He laughed shakily. "He's a god from Norse mythology. Loki. I- I like him." Percy could feel his face flushing ridiculously. "I'd like to believe the feeling is mutual. Uh, I think I'm happy now. Like you'd want me to be. Happy Mothers Day." Percy continued crying and Loki's arms tightened around him. He cried into the gods chest, feelings of sorrow and pain washing over him.

"Hi Sally, Percy's mum." Loki was speaking, slight uncertainty evident in his voice. "I'm Loki, Percy's boyfriend. I hope it stays that way. I do like him, and I appreciate you for raising him to be who he is. I vow to take care of him for you. Rest in peace."

"Loki..."

"I don't really know what else to say. I'm running out of ideas here."

"Well then don't say anything else. Just shut up and kiss me."

~~~~

The first one-shot of Kept Behind Enemy Lines. It was written for Mother's Day.

Peace,

BTSWD
Borntosingwithdrama