14 Threats And Pain

- still late afternoon -

Watching a projection from the sunax all-camera, Milden sees Katelle and Artim moving away from the pair of peace officers. "What an inreal fantagirl you are. Assets defined by stripes of warning yellow and the rest of you in insane red. You should be as tempting as death, but you're the only thing I yearn for... that doesn't slosh in a cup."

Kalben seems passed out next to him, black hair still not fully braided. Milden reaches and grabs a disheveled clump. He listens to a few soft snores and then smirks and lets go.

A tap on the side of his wristaid and a small protrusion pops out. Correspondingly, a window opens on Milden's screen and he slides his finger down its length. Outlined in blinking red, it is tagged Knockout. He slides it half back to where it stays a solid yellow with the tag Moderate Stun. Tapping for options, he selects Punishment, which changes the tag from Stun to Pain.

Amber eyes wide, the deputy manager slowly leans towards Kalben. A hair before they would touch a charge is released that flings open the assisting doctor's eyelids and spasms the whole of his body. A steady wheezing noise contrasts with Milden's chortle. Tapping the charge off, he stays threateningly close.

Kalben gasps, sputters, and looks down at his lap. Catching his breath, he tugs on the thigh area of his still white onesuit and says, "Zero zero, what what? Why? That really hurt. I thought, I thought my muscles were just going rip themselves out and dance away. Oh, and thanks, I just changed you—"

"Me what?" The assisting doctor closes his mouth and lowers his head as Milden says, "Stay awake until I say you can crash, or I'll do this again with enough charge that you'll crack your own teeth. You spin me?" Kalben mumbles something and Milden slaps him, right hand to left cheek. "You spin me, drunk rapist?"

"I wasn't. I just had too much at the Funhouse. And about, and with her, it was consensual. She was… that was so long ago."

"Not really idiot. Certainly her batchmates didn't think so when they heard the sordid tale. Funny how age gives you perspective. If we let you, if I let you live long enough, maybe you'll understand. Though I kind of doubt that you'll last the couple of decades it will probably take."

Milden stands up and tugs on the blue fringe of his sleeves to straighten his onesuit and says, "They know their sister. They believe her account in their true heart. They just don't have confirmation. Their brains, their duty, it shackles them. But remember I have that key oh prince. Do you spin me Kalben Yelt, son of Harad Yelt, great great grandson of Chrik Yelt? Oh prince of the medical department, I have you by the balls. So, for the last time Kalben, do you spin me?"

"Yes."

"Tell me how you spin me."

"I understand you. I will give weight to your will. I am your tool."

"Good." Milden pats him on a cringing white shoulder. "I hate having to remind you. It hurts me to remind you. I really don't like seeing pain, not directly. I'm such a sympathetic person. It's why I was drawn to human resources in the first place. I just really like to help people be better.

"My excessive compassion is also why I need amberose. It steadies me. I don't have to tell you about that. You're probably the biggest addict in your department, even worse than your dad. At the Funhouse do you find yourself competing with passies because everyone else with responsibilities has long since left for sleep and recovery?

"I'm a little surprised you haven't killed with negligence. Always counting on someone to cover for you, and never any real medical emergencies you had to take care of all on your own. How proud Harad must be of his drunk rapist prodigal son.