12 Swollen Pinky

- still late afternoon -

Kalben looks at a projected reflection of himself and examines the end of a fresh braid. He glances over as Milden starts drumming copper tipped fingers and notes that his pinky has started to swell. "You sure you don't want me—"

"No."

"But it looks—"

"No."

 Kalben moves on to a new braid and says, "You wouldn't really tell my dad about the intoxication violation would you?"

"Now why does my dirty girl have to share every flirtatious giggle? She has to be doing this on purpose. Making me jealous. Making me want to speak like some zero zero passie begging in rhyme on the bridges."

"So my dad—"

"No your father wouldn't thank me for that. No, I'd confirm to Pho and Eastman what you did with their dear batchsister and arrange for a conflict resolution. They've had the training as peace officers so no need to involve a facilitator. They can take turns third personing while the other is beating the zeros out of you." He frowns at the glass of water in his armrest and takes a sip. "I'm in a vicious mood. It would have been good for you if you thought of something more than 'Artim is a weird teacher sometimes. He has the kids dance around and play games to learn'. That's the worst you've got?

"I admit, since I had my wizard Molla prioritize an AI facet just for him, he hasn't been caught doing anything I can use against their relationship. But what man could stray from the most intoxicating drug of a woman in our tube world?" Milden shakes his head. "He better not be this clean. I will find the Merridian in him if I have to create it, maybe something can be built around that dead professor of his. Now his file had some extensive notes."

Milden laughs and says, "Crazy recluse was hilarious. I remember when I was pulling out his nails, he kept trying to pant out distorted bits of history. His tales were what got him in trouble and he just couldn't stop. I think we all had a soft spot for him, and he kind of worked for us. Coming from him, it discredited the secrets buried in his ramble. Guilt by association is pretty weak though, especially from seven years ago. It would be a lot better to red Artim with something contemporary."

They sit in silence for a while, and then Kalben says, "Well you tagged him for the day, that could enable some possibilities." His neck seems to shrink as he lowers his eyes before Milden's glare. "And there is… well there is his batchbrother Orto. We're friends and he likes to maybe spend too much time at the Funhouse."

Milden snorts. "What a great friend you are. I know Orto; he's harmless, a one-time daredevil, now too scared to stare out a window. Worst thing about him is his name and the thin family line back to Ortomen originals. His guardians must have thought they were so clever with their naming. Who could possibly figure out that his name matches the first four letters? Zero zero G."

"Okay I understand you think I'm horrible and useless, and well I guess I can't disagree with you right now." Kalben turns away in his chair and chews on a braid.

Milden mutters incoherently for a moment and then glances at the projection showing Katelle and Artim surrounded on the Blue Road and says, "Well that's an interesting coincidence."