Chapter XVI

About a week passes and most of the days I'm hanging out with Ruby and Zeuxis. I haven't seen Grim since our fight, and for that, I'm grateful but also terribly sad about. I miss his gorgeous eyes, his fluffy hair, and most of all, his sarcastic responses. I didn't realize how much I would miss him through all of this, but I know if I cave and run to him, it's just going to prove how I feel about him. I cannot have myself telling him I love him like a lovestruck teenager...even though that's exactly what I am.

Zeuxis has taken over the role of my protector, constantly hanging over my shoulder. He even started showing up as Beans again, allowing Ruby and him get along. It's refreshing, to be honest. It feels like my life never once was flipped upside down like a piggy bank. It was finally getting back on track.

I just had to do something about the angels.

Another feather showed up in my room and I instantly threw it out my window. I was sitting on my window alcove when I realized there was only one way to get my life back together.

I had to speak to the angels.

Like a normal human.

I have to reach a compromise with them about Grim and make sure they know I know why they are after me and they have nothing to worry about. It seems that is the only way my life will get back on track, especially since Rowl now is off my case and I do not have to worry about him at my every turn. It seems like a false reality right now, with hope my future can be normal again.

I can forget about Grim, the God of Life, and even Azrael. I can go back to being a normal human.

But do I really want to?

I had gotten so used to the magical auras floating over me whenever I was around Grim or Azrael and I'm not sure how boring life will be without them. But being bored and being safe is completely different, and one of those sounds way more appealing than the other. 

It's necessary. It's necessary. It's necessary.

I chew on my lip as I stare blankly ahead of me. It's necessary. I need to do this. I cannot be the sole reason for the end of the world because I wanted to be happy. That's the definition of being a selfish bitch. I cannot let more angels risk their freedom to save the world. I can save it right now.

I just need something.

Suddenly, that something comes to me when my eyes catch the ashes of the feather at the bottom of my trash can.

I'm up and running around my room like a bullet. I grab my jacket, slipping it on and then into my closet where I slip on some old combat boots and throw my hair up into a ponytail. My eyes look like guarded prisons as I look at my reflection. I've gotten good at hiding my emotions. It's what I've had to do every time I see Azrael. He wonders what happened, and understands that something with Grim and I went sour. I saw Azrael the other day when he was with Zeuxis and as soon as he looked at me, I felt like he was trying to figure me out. He almost instantly hissed in my mind about what had happened, but if Grim didn't tell him, I didn't dare to open my mouth.

I had to keep secrets otherwise there was a chance my plan wouldn't work.

As I burst out my back door and onto the old wooden deck, I look back at into my house. I see my sister sitting on the couch watching makeup videos on the couch and my aunt hard at work on food. A smile slides across my face and I make sure to memorize their faces in case I never see them again.

What I'm about to do is insane. I know it is. But nowadays, everything is insane. I'm going with my gut and my gut tells me this is the right move. This can work. Everything can be fine.