Chapter III

"I must say, in my time of knowing you, I figured you were smart...but now..." Azrael trails off in my mind as I purposefully walk down the sidewalk. I decided that I was going to prove I wasn't some incapable human. I was going to the store to search for pepper spray or something. Pepper spray has got to hurt angels...right? I asked Azrael earlier and he just sort of shrugged.

Grim had left to go do something requiring his godly powers. I was angry at him, and he was mad at me. It was awkward between us since I stubbornly slammed my door on his face and left him alone in my room. I got weird as I realized I left the God of Death in my room alone while he was probably seething in anger. I doubt anyone has shown him any type of resilience to his power. As soon as he mentions his name, everyone falls down and bows.

Before Grim had left, he had ordered me to stay in my room. Azrael swore to protect me and although he was loyal to Grim, he was still working to protect me, so I forced him to come with me to the store. He was hesitant about breaking his master's rules, but I told him I was going no matter what and he would get in more trouble if he didn't come with me. Azrael couldn't argue with that and simply groaned before wrapping around my body. His tail slid into my belt loops and remained there, even as I swiftly drove to the store. I don't really know where pepper spray is, but I bet it's at a gun shop...right?

The moment my eyes landed on the gun shop, I hesitated. I didn't want to step out of my car. But then Azrael hissed in my mind "The faster we get this over with, the less of a chance Grim knows we snuck out." I was out of the car in seconds.

Only now I hesitate as my hand holds the handle of the door. Azrael twitches impatiently around me. "The door won't open itself," he whispers. I snap my head over to look at him, his head beside my neck. He is now the size of a normal snake, maybe even smaller than one to remain hidden around my neck. His head is about the size of an egg, his body long enough to reach to my hips. He sort of acts like a belt.

"I know that," I hiss back at Azrael. He just narrows his eyes before nodding his head to the door. I groan before reaching forward and pulling my elbow back. The door jingles as it pulls open, such a cheery sound compared to the gloomy mess I walk into. A man with a long white beard and a flannel leans over a case of guns, staring at them. That's when my eyes connect with warm brown ones and a matching smile. I immediately start walking to the friendly looking worker, only to run right into a rack of earbuds or something. I quickly grab the rack and fix it, and even Azrael whips his little tail out and grabs it. I let out a sigh before nodding and walking around the rack to the worker.

"I'm so glad you caught that," he sighs when I wake up to him. I smile. "So anyway, what can I help you with? You don't seem like you're able to buy a gun...legally at least."

"Uh, yeah, I'm not looking for a gun," my eyes divert toward the casual pistol hanging on the back wall. My throat dries. "Pepper spray?" The boy's eyes lower. He looks at me as if I'm dumb.

"Uh, yeah, we have some. But...you wouldn't come to a...you know, nevermind."

He slaps the spray on the counter and seconds later, I am wincing as I buy it. The creepy guy with the beard looks over at me before shaking his head and talking to some bald guy with tattoos all over his head. I run out of the store with Azrael tightly wrapped around me.

I place the spray on my car seat and suck in a big breath before driving away. Azrael sniffs the spray before quickly recoiling and moving back to my side. I pull away. I plan on going back home, but as I am driving, I quickly notice a bookstore.

I bet I could secretly read some defense moves. I glance at Azrael. He immediately gets my longing look and shakes his head. "No, my master will already be mad you bought that," he points his head to the pepper spray. "Besides, we don't know when he will return. For my master's sake, he could be there now!"