Chapter 24

We had finally arrived at CVCS. The ride was rather awkward and quiet. Connor and Andre just sat there not talking the whole time. I dont know what was up with those two. Maybe they have some kind of history I dont know about. I cant exactly just stroll up and ask them what the deal between them is. That would just be awkward and rude. Besides, I have to focus on the game against Central Valley Charter School.

The schools building itself, was rather unimpressive. The building, on the outside at least, consisted of typical rusted red colored brick. Obviously, the one story high building also had windows and doors, but the soccer team and I werent going inside, so I dont know how the inside of the school checks out. The campus of Central Valley Charter School seemed to be poorly upkept. There were weeds everywhere and the grass, in many places, clearly had not be mowed for quite some time. The parking lot was rather small and was cracked and falling apart.

Despite this, when the team and I reached Central Valleys soccer field, it was actually pretty nice looking. Although the field was a simple, plain, old, run-of-the-mill, grass soccer field, as the school didnt have any turf fields, and it was certainly not in terrible condition. The grass was evenly cut. The white field lines were also straight and clearly visible. Ive played on some fields in really poor condition (but still playable) and I can confidently say that this field was not that bad.

After the team and I put our stuff down by the bench next to the touchline, we grabbed some soccer balls and began warming up. Connor was in the goal warming up for his first game playing the position. He was wearing a cyan colored version of our uniform with the number two on it, as each keeper on our team had a different color. I dont know how or why the school even has that many uniforms and all, after all I just recently became a member.

Anyway, we were warming up right before the game. I had my teammates practicing passing and taking shots on Connor. He managed to stop most of the shots. Well, actually, he stopped all of them except for one.

*PHEWWWWWW!!!!!*

I heard the sound of a whistle followed someone calling out, Captains!

It was the referee and this was my cue. I jogged over to the ref, as did the captains of Central Valley. The ref introduced himself and went through the usual pre-game formalities, such as about no discrimination and to make sure we have good sportsmanship. When it came time for the coin toss, after the ref finished his speech, it landed on heads. Just my luck. First game as acting-captain and I lose the coin toss. One of the captains of Central, suggested to his other captains, that they give my team the ball anyway, rather than start the game with the ball themselves. The other two, snapped at him with a stern but simple, "no."

I called the rest of my team back over to our bench.

"Good job losing the coin toss Neely," Aiden criticized.

"Shut up and focus on what the coach is about to tell us," I ordered.

"Oh yes sir. Of course, Captain. Anything for you," he replied in the most annoying, sarcastic, and mocking voice he could.

Coach started giving us a pep-talk. She told us that Central has already brutally lost two games to Westview Technical High School and Skylines Secondary School. Coach told us that both those teams have many young and inexperienced players. We almost all experienced players, but we do have a few young boys with Dylan being the youngest at only thirteen years old. She assured us that we would be able to be them no problem.

"So I decided to change the starting line up slightly," I announced.

"After what Coach mentioned about young and inexperienced, Dylan, I want you playing mid-field in place of Aiden, and" I began to explain.

"So what? Your shoving me on the bench now, because I dont appreciate or like you?" Aiden butted in, clearly annoyed.

"Ahno. Im putting you up top with Eric as a striker instead of Dylan," I told him off with a smartass attributed.

Aiden just, for a brief moment, had a super red and embarrassed look on his face. It was perfect and hilarious, at least personally to me, seeing Aiden with that look.

*PHEWWWWWW!!!!!*

The ref blew his whistle. While Aiden still had his mouth open looking, probably for words. But, the game was about to start.

Everyone started putting their hand into the center of our huddle.

Eric said to in his deep voice, "Andrew the honor of leading our chant is yours."

"Chant??" I said cautiously and confused.

Andre, standing next to me, quickly whispered into my ear.

"The chant, yea. Of course," I said as if I knew all along.

"ON THREE!" I yelled!

"ONE! TWO! THREE!" I counted down, yelling.

"BELDEN!!!!!" everyone shouted as they lifted their hand into the air.

With that, the starting line-up and I ran out to the field where the referee and assistant referees were already waiting in position.

*PHEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!*