Chapter 11

ELSA

"... Elsa...." I open my eyes to my name being called. I lift my head looking around. Hiccup's not around. It can't be him. The voice sounded feminine. I slowly get out of my bed walking out to the balcony. Hiccup was out there leaning over the edge.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Nothing..."

"... Elsa?" The voice again. 

Hiccup looked at me. "Did you hear that?" he asks.

I nod then slowly walk downstairs to the foyer. Hiccup follows slowly. "... Elsa... it's me, Anna!"

I stop walking looking at Hiccup. "It's me, Anna! What do I do?" I ask him.

"Go talk to her."

"But...."

"Go talk to her!"

I sigh then walk out from around the corner slowly. "... Anna?"

Anna stared at me. "Elsa, you look different... It's a good different... And this place is amazing." Anna says.

"Thank you," I start with a small smile looking at the ceiling lifting my arm a little bit. "I never knew what I was capable of," I add cautiously and politely.

Anna starts to climb the stairs. "... I'm so sorry about what happened. If I'd known--" she starts. 

She's getting closer! Think Elsa. What to do...... I back up, away from Anna. "No, it's okay. You don't have to apologize... But you should probably go, please." I say on guard.

"But I just got here," Anna says.

"... You belong in Arendelle." I say.

"So do you!"

Anna takes another step up. I back up more. "No, I belong here. Alone. Where I can be who I am without hurting anybody." I say.

"... Actually, about that--" Anna starts.

"58... 59... 60." I look up.

"Wait. What is that?"

A snowman comes running in the front door. He waves. "Hi, I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs." He says.

"Olaf?" Olaf stops beside Anna, looking up at me, intimidated.

"You built me. You remember that?" He asked bashfully.

"And you're alive?" I ask astonished.

Olaf opens and closes his little stick fingers. "Um... I think so?" 

Anna kneels down beside Olaf. "He's just like the one we built as kids..." Anna starts.

"... Yeah..."

"Elsa, we were so close. We can be like that again."

I smile, but then a memory returns to me.

Anna is struck by my powers. "Anna!" Anna falls unconscious and I race to her.

My face sinks in pain. "No, we can't." I turn and head up the second story steps. 43"Goodbye, Anna."

"Elsa, wait--" she calls.

"I'm just trying to protect you," I call back.

I continue to flee. "You don't have to protect me, I'm not afraid. Please don't shut me out again." She starts to sing as he comes after me. "Please don't slam the door. You don't have to keep your distance anymore! She starts to run up the stairs after me. " 'Cause for the first time in forever, I finally understand. For the first time in forever, we can fix this hand in hand. We can head down this mountain together, You don't have to live in fear. 'Cause for the first time in forever, I will be right here!" she stops at the door as she puts her hand on her chest.

We arrive on the top floor, my main living space. I turn back to Anna, gratefully, but determined.

"Anna," I start. "Please go back home, your life awaits," I point to the other mountain behind me. "Go enjoy the sun and open up the gates."

"Yeah, but -" I cut Anna off.

"I know, You mean well, but leave me be," I push open the Terrence door walking out. Anna follows. "Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. Just stay away and you'll be safe from me!"

I walk away again into the castle. "Actually we're not," Anna says. I turn to her.

"What do you mean you're not?"

"I get the feeling you don't know!"

"What do I not know?"

"Arendelle's in deep, deep, deep, deep snow!" Anna says to me looking up.

"What?" I ask, snow flying around us.

"You've kind of set off an eternal winter... Everywhere," Anna says.

"Everywhere?"

"It's okay, you can just unfreeze it!"

I look at my hands. "No, I can't, I - I don't know how!"

"Sure you can! I know you can!"

" 'Cause for the first time in forever," she starts to sing again.

I start to walk away from her into the ashes. "Oh I'm such a fool, I can't be free!" I sing.

"You don't have to be afraid!"

"No escape from the storm inside of me!" I yell.

We can work this out together!" Anna sings.

"I can't control the curse!"

"We'll reverse the storm you've made!"

But as Anna sings, I lose sight of her in the thickening snowstorm taking over the room. "Oh, Anna, please, you'll only make it worse!" I yell.

"Don't panic!"

"There's so much fear!"

"We'll make the sun shine bright!"

I turn to Anna. "You're not safe here!" I yell.

"We can face this thing together!"

"No!"

"We can change this winter weather!"

I start to yell.

"And everything will be alright..."

"I CAN'T" I yell. My fear, so strong, sucks the blizzard back into me and then it bursts out, unwittingly, like a sharp snowflake.

Anna suddenly grasps her chest in pain and stumbles back. She falls to her knees. I turn around only to gasp when I see Anna.

Hiccup comes to me quickly. "What happened? Are you hurt? I heard you yell!" I point to Anna. "Anna?

Just then, Olaf and some blonde guy rush into the room to Anna's side. "Anna," the guy yells. He helps her up gently. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm okay... I'm fine."

Anna gets to her feet, determined to hide the pain. "Who's this? Wait, it doesn't matter. You have to go." I say in fear.

"No, I know we can figure this out together--" she starts but I cut her off again.

"How?" I ask desperately.

"What power do you have to stop this winter? To stop me?" Anna doesn't have the answer.

Icy spikes start to form in my castle. The man sees spiky ice shadows creeping down the walls then puts a protective arm around Anna. "Anna, I think we should go," I ask.

"No. I'm not leaving without you, Elsa," Anna says close to tears.

"Yes, you are," I say heartbroken and decisive. I wave my arms making a cloud of smoke. I back up after looking at my creation. I built a giant, menacing snowman. The gang looks at it as his eyes glow red.