Chapter 5: Flames

Beginne am Anfang

Even in my world, we still have our fair share of violence and cruelty. But these people who abuse and abuse and abuse their power get away with it.

Let's not get into a philosophical debate when my life's a mess. I don't even know how I will go about telling the Red Clan the truth about myself.

I felt a squeeze on my hand. Anna looked at me innocently. She must've felt my inner turmoil. I let a smile grace my face and I lightly squeezed her hand back.

I turned and faced forward, becoming serious. I can't daydream now. Let's handle these things as life throws it at me.

As I was distracted, it seemed like Mizuchi attempted to get Senkouki to finish Mikoto off, it seemed like Mizuchi thought Mikoto ran out of power. Idiot. But Senkouki knew the truth. That he wouldn't be able to defeat Mikoto, even when Mikoto reeled back his powers. Instead he had tried to kill himself. Mikoto, understanding Senkouki's self-determined fate, placed his fist against Senkouki's heart and left no blood, bones, or ashes.

As Mizuchi yelled nonsense at Mikoto, Mikoto walked towards him, most likely planning to leave nothing behind of the pathetic human. But at that moment, Mizuchi's body floated into the air.

A dozen of the Gold Clan's Usagis had appeared. I guess our Usagi that was fighting the Strain realized more manpower was needed and called for backup.

"Seems like they came for the cleanup." A familiar voice came from above. 

We looked up

We looked up. Izumo, who had probably been behind the Usagis, stood at the edge of the hole and looked down.

"Yo, good work." Izumo waved one hand at Mikoto from where he stood. It seemed like his shoulder and arm was injured, but had a bandage around it.

Mikoto frowned at the bandage, "What's with that look?"

"... ya don't need to point that out first thing in a situation like this. Leave me be. It's actually pretty embarassin'." Izumo looked at Mizuchi and smiled wryly. "The chief layin' over there is done for. Ya don't need to deal with him anymore. Let the Usagis have him."

Mikoto didn't reply, but he didn't try to stop the moving Usagis. They surrounded Mizuchi as Izumo jumped down. Totsuka ran over to him and I followed a few steps behind, holding Anna's hand.

The danger passed and I loosened up my hand, but Anna shook her head and refused to let go.

"You okay? You hardly ever get hurt like this. What happened, seriously?" Tatara prodded for information.

"... like I said. Don't ask..." Izumo looked awkward, then suddenly glared at both Tatara and Mikoto. "More importantly, I told ya guys not to go overboard, right? What's this?"

The building was full of large fissures and was beginning to fall apart as it burned. Even now, small fragments were falling from above, and unpleasant noises indicating destruction could be heard. Tatara smiled as if to change the subject.