Chapter 4: Saving Anna (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

The Usagi who handcuffed the doctor stayed on the ground floor with Rikio and Shohei in case more blues went rogue and came after them. Hana, Mikoto, Misaki, Tatara, Izumo, and 1 Usagi headed down into the basement.

Apparently the elevator didn't even go all the way down. The further down someone went, the more dangerous and powerful the Strains kept there are. In order to get to the basement level, one would have to switch to a different elevator in the basement and would need a higher level key.

At the moment, they would only be able to reach the floor with secret research rooms with a Level A clearance. It didn't appear as if the Usagi knew about these secret rooms with different clearances. Everyone in the elevator, except for Tatara and the King prepared for some opponents to be waiting on the other side.

Indeed, when the doors opened, there were a few Blues. But they didn't attack as the door opened.

One man in particular stood out as the leader of the Blues. His brown hair was slicked back and he looked to be in his thirties. He had quite a scary expression on his face as his eyes met Kusanagi's.

Kusanagi smiled bitterly, he spoke to the others without turning around, "Sorry.. Could ya go on ahead?"

"Kusanagi-san?" Tatara called out to him questioningly.

Kusanagi smiled and shrugged, "This guy's my buddy. I'm goin' to talk with him a little, so you guys go on and get Anna-chan."

Gen often frequented the bar, and it appeared as if Izumo and Gen were on good terms.

But that didn't stop either of them from holding back during their fight.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

The group continued down another elevator, but as the doors opened a loud thud was heard. The sound and blast from an explosion flowed in through the gap in the doors like a rapid river. Mikoto didn't tense up in the slightest, just simply canceled out the blast with the red aura that softly emitted from his body.
I felt the warmth comfortably slide over and engulf us in a protective barrier. It didn't seem to harm me or the red clansmen at all, but the Gold Usagi seemed uncomfortable and emitted his own Gold aura to shield himself from the blast.

As they stepped out of the elevator and onto the ground, a sharp blade whirled out of the lingering smoke from the blast. Misaki jumped in front of the group and blocked the blade with his baseball bat. Misaki attempted to grab the attacker, but the attacker was able to slip out of Misaki's grip somehow and jumped back a few feet. Misaki kept his eyes on the swordsman.

"That was close, that was close. I was about to get crushed to death all of a sudden" The attacker with a sword and movement like a grasshopper said while letting out a breath.

"Anyways, Grasshopper, they sure are making us go too far." Said a man with a small stature from the opposite side of the attacker. His hand held a powerful energy, and it was shining while letting off crackles that made it seem like it could explode at any second. This was probably the man who attacked them as soon as the elevator doors opened.

"Let us through. We have permission from the Gold Clan to arrest Kōshi Mizuchi." The Usagi finally spoke up.

The Strains ignored the Usagi. In fact, his words seemed to even spur them on. "Going too far was part of the job description wasn't it Pyrotechnic? There's no way they'd let us off for our crimes if it wasn't something dangerous." Said Grasshopper.

A large man whose body was wrapped in thick, armor-like muscles walked out of the smoke. He was a whole head taller than Mikoto. The big man laughed, letting off a sinister murderous intent, "M'name's Senkouki. M'heart's dancing, let's fight Red King."

The large man kicked off from the floor, his body flying straight through the air like an arrow. In the next second, he was facing Mikoto and he sent a strong uppercut at Mikoto.

"Heh..." Mikoto didn't even move an inch as he blocked the man's fist and smirked a bit. It seemed like he was enjoying this. He raised his arm with a light movement and threw off Senkouki's arm which was trying to break his barrier. The man's fist ended up being deflected into the wall, making a large hole.

"A Strain, huh." Mikoto commented lazily as he looked around at the ones surrounding them.

"I guess they're the dangerous Strains that are kept down here, huh." Said Tatara while tilting his head. "It seems like they've been told they'll be let free if they beat the Red King."

"M'different. They gave me the offer, sure, but the reason why m'here is cause the chance to fight with the Red King himself is a prize to me." As he said that, the large man's eyes sparkled like those of a child.

Grasshopper called out, "His crime's murder. He's also called 'Strain-killer.' He's a perv who can't have fun with anything but fighting strong people."

Senkouki, Grasshopper, and Pyrotechnician all readied themselves to destroy the Red King.

As they lunged towards Mikoto, Misaki jumped in front of Grasshopper, blocking his attack, "Hey, your fight's with me!"

On the other side, the Usagi sent a barrier at Pyrotechnician, controlling the crackling power bursts until it dissipated. "We may not be on the same team, Red King, but these Strains seem to have gone rogue. It's clear that Kōshi Mizuchi is a traitor and has been conducting illegal experiments without our knowledge. We always suspected something, which was why we constantly had surprise evaluations of the hospital, but we were never aware of this wing."

Mikoto ignored the Usagi and blocked Senkouki's charging fist again, and pushed away the fist he blocked. Senkouki spun as he went flying, but dexterously straightened his large body in midair and landed. Mikoto looked down at the palm he used to block. There was a small black abrasion on the skin. He smirked. He was having a lot of fun.

"Hey." While looking in the direction of the Strains, Mikoto spoke to Hana behind him. "Can you stand the heat?"

I stared at Mikoto, if he were to turn around we would be making eye contact. "Yes, don't worry about me. I can protect myself."

"Tatara. Can I?" Mikoto spoke again.

When Tatara was asked in that faintly cheerful voice, Tatara shrugged his shoulders. "... if you'll be with me when Kusanagi-san chews us out later?" He said that in a tone that had exasperation mixed in, making Mikoto laugh voicelessly.

The next instant, power shot out from his body towards Senkouki.