“Statement.” I answered. “I was supposed to give you guys my name? Uh Chrysanthe Scott…”

His eyebrows raised in surprise.
“Oh right. Floor 23 Ms. Scott.” He told me quickly.

I nodded and turned to go to the elevators. Floor 23? That’s pretty high up. I got into the gold elevator and pressed level 23. As I waited to arrive, I could feel myself becoming anxious. How did this person find me? Why me specifically? Will there be other people interviewing for the position too?
I finally made it to the floor and I stepped off. My eyes widened at the 4 hallways on either sides of me. Which one?

I then noticed a woman with black hair in a pencil skirt and white blouse walking past me.

“Excuse me miss.” I called out and she turned around. Her bright blue eyes were full of surprise.

“I’m here for an interview and I don’t know where it is.”

She walked over to me while saying, “There aren’t any interviews today. And anyway, this isn’t the interview floor.”

“What?” I was confused so I pulled out my envelope to show to her. “It said be here by 6:30 and the receptionist told me to go to floor 23.”

Her eyes scanned over the letter. Her face lit up and she smiled.

“Oh yes, I’ll show you.”

I thanked her as she led me down a hallway with a few doors. We came to the last door which was pretty far from the others. The blinds were shut so I couldn’t see in. There was nothing next to the door, no name or anything.

“Here we are. Good luck.” She smiled and walked away.

I gulped. This was it. Make an impression, Chrys.

I turned the doorknob and pushed the door open. I was surprised to see a man with his head behind a computer at a large brown desk. The room had large glass windows covered by even bigger blinds.

“Have a seat.” The voice said roughly.
The man looked young but I could only tell from his hair. It was slicked back and a chocolate brown color of some sort.

I nodded and sat in the black chair across from his desk. For the first 5 minutes he stayed hidden behind his computer not speaking at all. I supposed he must’ve been really busy possibly.

“I never applied for this position.” I said breaking the silence.

He peered up out from the computer letting me see just his eyes. His face began to turn pink and then he hid again. His eyes were practically the color of his hair. Even though I only saw them for a second, that was enough time for me to remember them.

“C-Calum?”

He looked up from his computer so I could completely see his face. He was shocked.

“H-How'd you know it was me?” His voice returned to its normal way that I remembered, deep and calming except there was nervousness added into the mix.

“What is going on?” I asked.

Is he the one who sent the letter? Am I actually here for an interview?

“Sorry I would’ve said something sooner, but I got a bit nervous.” He sighed. “It’s been a year.”

I realized he was right. Yeah, about a year.

“Why did you do this?” I asked. “You could’ve just texted me. My number’s the same.”

“I don’t know…” he trailed off. “I wanted to surprise you. Clearly I’ve ruined it though.”