A Year

I’ll be back.
I swear to god I will.

It felt as if my world had shattered. We hadn’t been together long, but I’d never had feelings for anyone the way I had for Calum. He was funny and kind and adorable and loving and smarter than most thought. The list goes on forever. He was my first boyfriend and probably my last. I wasn’t interested in dating anyone before I met Calum anyway. It was rare to find someone interested in me no matter how much I was interested in them. I want to say I may have lost my soul mate but that would be a stretch. I’ll probably meet a guy I like when I’m 30 or something. Man this is depressing.

I remember crying for so long. If Calum broke up with me because he just wasn’t interested in me anymore then I wouldn’t have been so upset. It’s just was upsetting because I know how sad and angry he was. He was even willing to stay...for me. Of all people, me. Just thinking about that day makes me depressed and sad. He said he’d be back but I don’t hold onto promises. I know how often people keep them.
Now, it’d been approximately a year. I’d graduated from Wills and attended college for creative writing and film. I was really close to finishing my freshman year. I shared a dorm with Kara, a short girl with blue hair and green eyes. She was actually pretty cool and we’d gotten pretty well acquainted.
Since I graduated, I’ve become much more social. I’m not saying I enjoy it. I can just bear it more.

“Hey Chrys. This was at our door.” Kara handed a white envelope to me. “It’s addressed to you.”

“Whoa.” I spoke as I flipped the envelope over. Sure enough, it said Chrysanthe Scott on the back.

I went to sit on my bed as I ripped the envelope open and pulled out a printed letter.

Dear Chrysanthe Scott,

You are invited to an interview for the media relations position at Ed&May Tower today. Please arrive at 6:30 sharp and tell the receptionist your name.

From,
Your boss

“What…?” I said in disbelief after I reread the letter.

Kara grabbed it eagerly and read it also.

“That’s weird.” She muttered. “You applied for this position? It sounds full time.

“No I never applied for this. That’s really weird. And why does it say ‘your boss’? I haven’t even gotten the job.”
“You should go.” She grinned. “Maybe it's a secret admirer who wants to hire you.”

“What?” I laughed. “I’m pretty sure that’s the farthest from what it is.”
And so I went nervously. I threw on some black slacks, a white button up and a blazer with some men style dress shoes. I braided my hair into a crown hairstyle to look shmancy. I then used my gps to take me to the tower because I hadn’t remembered any building with that name.

“Oh crap.” I muttered as I came upon the building.

Calum’s parents owned this. I then found myself wondering how Calum was doing. He disappeared after graduation. Had it been a year already? Possibly more? Hm. Was he thinking of me? Shut up, Chrys, you’re not that important.

And so I slowly walked into the building, counting every step I made on the marble floor.

I came upon the large receptionist desk and a bald man with blue eyes looked up from his computer.

“Um hi…” I trailed off. “I’m here for an interview?”

“Is that a question or a statement?” He asked impatiently.