Chapter 14 : Dealing with oneself 101

Start from the beginning

He was using a flashlight? Which means, it was dark? Dark like...nightfall?

It was night time!

I panicked.

"H-how long was I out? What time is it?.." I finally managed my voice low and hoarse and my throat sore.

The fog in my vision dissipated and was replaced by panic and sudden awareness for a split second. Everything came back to me.

"I'm fine!" I murmured and yanked my elbow out of his grip, Alexander frowned.

SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT!!!

My aunt's going to wonder where we are. The nurse is going to flip out and call the police. Simba! Simba's a goner! He's going to spend the night outside in the woods and get attacked by bears or wolves or foxes.

"I ha-h-...I have...I have to go.." I mumbled and tried to get up.

Had all fluids in my body not been frozen at the moment, I would have shed a few tears.

Simba...

My god, MOVE Alexa! Do something! GET UP!

Sadly, my willpower was too demanding of my physical ability. And apparently, I lost all coordination and my legs turned into wobbly jelly. I almost fell back on the ground had Alexander not caught me instantly in his arms and seized the opportunity of me finally moving to bring me closer to him. I was as rigid as a board. My feet were dangling off the ground as I felt my eyes close and my head drop against his chest.

I just wanted to die right then!

"She can't leave, she's dying out..." Jay grabbed my wrist to check my pulse like it was normal. Like they saw dead bodies all the time.

"WHAT?" Alexander shouted and Jay stiffened and let go of me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to sound blunt.." Jay scratched his ear, "Hypothermia is a completely normal response to cold in humans. It means her body's shutting off her organs to preserve heat so her brains keeps working, her heartbeat slowed down and she's barely breathing already.."

He was talking like I had the flu and not a life threatening condition with a death rate of 15 hundred people a year.

I felt Alexander squeeze me in tighter against him. Bad move! Bad move! Don't squeeze my chest with your stupid uncontainable strength. It hurt. It was cutting off my sad, shallow breathing in half.

I coughed my sandy dry throat off and my entire upper body convulsed and the rib pain came back. I felt a screeching, agonizing pang in my heart; I couldn't help a whimper from escaping my lips. Once he heard that, Alexander gripped me harder, getting seemingly frustrated.

Oh god! He gripped me harder!

Please let go of my corpse! Please just drop me down on the ground and let me die right here on the beautiful marble checker lobby tiles!

"Her body's shutting off... from WATER?!" he shouted again, "Are you fucking with me?...Not even a bacterial infection from the lake or anything, just the WATER ITSELF?.." he spit and Jay backed off, slightly threatened by his temper. Alexander was glaring at him like it was the stupidest thing he's heard. Like Jay had better come up with another explanation right away.

"Don't snap!" Jay attempted to calm down, "I'm not lying! Why would I do that? And stop jerking and squeezing her like she's a puppet, you're going to send her into cardiac arrest.."

Cardiac Arrest? Sure. Why not. I mean we already hit the health hazard dumpster, might as well scoop everything out while we're at it.

The chandelier in the lobby lit up suddenly and Alexander took one look at my white wax figure face. He saw the tree branches scratches all over my cheeks and Jay breathed out.