I wanted nothing more than to bang my head against the desk repeatedly. Perhaps if I give myself enough brain damage, I can be excused and not have to take the final.

I managed to get myself out of my own thoughts, and I noticed that the class was now full of noise. Everyone was now talking about the English final, and other finals and/or tests coming up.

"Last year's seniors said the English final was so hard!"

"I heard no one got an A on the English final last year!"

"There is no history final. Thank goodness!"

"You think Armstrong is giving us a final?"

"We just came back from Whittle and they're flooding us with finals! Can you believe it?"

"Howell's test is going to be so difficult. I'm not good with written tests!"

"Graduation is two weeks away. We can make it!"

Malone clicked her tongue disapprovingly. She rested her weight on her left leg and crossed her arms over her chest. "I do believe I have a class to teach," Malone said loudly—in fact, almost bitterly. The class silenced themselves, and we paid attention to Miss Malone.

"Now I can start teaching," she muttered, even though the entire class was able to hear her.

"Miss Malone?" Jordan McClennon asked, raising her hand.

Normally, if it had been any other student, Malone would have snapped at them and brought down their cooperation grade. But no, it was Jordan McClennon, and everybody knows how much Miss Malone loves Jordan McClennon. Malone turned to Jordan with a smile on her face.

"Yes, Jordan?" Malone replied. Her voice was so sweet that it sounded sickly.

Jordan put her hand down. "What of which we have learned will be on the final?"

Malone put the cap on her whiteboard marker. She walked over to the director's chair in front of her podium, and she sat down. She crossed her right leg over her left, as usual, and she turned to the class with a serious look on her face.

"We all know that we've read multiple books this year. The Scarlet Letter, Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird.... The only book that will be on the final is To Kill a Mockingbird. That part of the final is simple. You will need to know vocabulary terms from the homework assignments I've assigned. You are my first senior period of the day, so I know very well you share test information with the other periods. In that case, I am making three different tests for each period—that way, you won't be able to share information and allow your fellow classmates to cheat....

"You will need to know quotes from the story. For example, if Atticus said something important, it may be a quote on the test. Just look over your highlights in your copy of the book." Malone moved her glasses so that they were on the brim of her nose, looked down at us, and slightly narrowed her eyes. "That is, if you even highlighted notes. I certainly hope you have."

The class mustered incoherent murmurs.

"There will be true-or-false questions, as usual," Miss Malone continued. "Some multiple choice questions, as well. A few more parts of the final will include grammar and spelling. You will need to know about the Great Depression, Maya Angelou, Nelle Harper Lee..."

I blocked Miss Malone out.

She didn't end up teaching the class at all. She talked about the final for the remainder of the period, and I practically ran out of the class when the bell rang.