Chapter 6

"Admit it, Luke," Calum said with a sly smile. "I'm making you blush."

"Well, what can I say?" I replied, unaware of my certain wave of confidence. "You just can't resist such a pretty face."

Calum's face turned crimson, and I forced myself not to start laughing. He pulled his beanie further down his head and covered his face with his sweater paws so I wouldn't look him in the eye. "I thought I told you to stop calling me cuuuuute," Calum whined. Before I knew it, I let out a giant "Aw!" and Calum scolded me.

"You're an asshole, you know that, Lucas?"

I pouted, glaring at Calum. "You're lucky you're my friend, Cal, otherwise I would so kick your ass for calling me Lucas."

"Lucas."

"No," I said, glaring my eyes at him and pressing my lips to a thin line.

"Luuuuucaaaaas."

"Stop right now, Calum, I swear."

"LUUUUUUCAAAAAAAS."

"Stop it!" I whined. I pouted my lip, practically showing off the ring that was on it, and I exaggerated my eyes.

Calum smiled at me, and he cuddled a stuffed penguin that he had on his bed. I gasped, clapping my hands like a child, and Calum laughed at me.

"I want that penguin!" I shouted, even though Calum was right in front of me—sort of—and he smiled at me, holding the stuffed animal tighter than ever before.

"Too bad, because you're not going to get it."

I pouted. "You're mean."

"You're meaner! You keep calling me cute!"

"It's a compliment!" I exasperated, throwing my hands out to emphasize the statement.

"I don't accept compliments, so stop calling me cute."

"But I like to give you compliments," I said sadly.

"Not a chance, Lucas."

"I'll let you call me Lucas if I can give you compliments!" I wagered. Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes!

Calum stared at me, eyeing me carefully. I could see his eyes roaming all over me, although it was through a screen. He finally stopped and he looked me directly in the eye; even though we were looking at each other through our cameras, I still felt as if his stare was intense. He had these big brown eyes that you could get lost in, and I felt like I could get lost in his pools of chocolate any second now.

"Maybe," Calum finally said, adjusting his beanie triumphantly. I only gasped, and I scolded him.

"You can only choose yes or no!"

"Or."

I groaned in frustration as Calum laughed at me. Sometimes I really wished that he accepted my compliments. He was so insecure sometimes, and it really upset me because he shouldn't be.

"Why won't you accept my compliments?" I whined.

Calum shrugged, and he adjusted his beanie. He decided to take off the sweater he was wearing, claiming that it was too hot, whereas I was perfectly comfortable in my band t-shirt.

"I don't accept compliments because they're not true," he told me. "Hey, can I have your My Chemical Romance shirt?"

"My compliments are one hundred percent true, Calum. I can assure you that. And no, you cannot have my shirt! It's like you're wearing a cloud, man; it's that comfortable. I fucking love this shirt."