Chapter 13

Adam gulped nervously. "Hi, Rose." She nodded her head indicating the same, but wasn't ready for words to come out.

After she retreated back to her post, Tyler spoke up. "What's going on, Adam? Isn't that her?" He knew there was friction between them.

"I'm not ready," he distracted himself in the opposite direction of Tyler.

The table was far enough away that Rose couldn't clue in to the conversation between the boys. The exes attempted to prevent contact, but caught each other's gazes every once in a while.

"Man, you need to talk to her," Tyler suggested. "Look at her." He physically moved Adam's face to stare at Rosemary. "She's hurting."

A single tear started to form in each of Adam's eyes. "I-I can't, Ty. No one understands."

"If you won't, I will," he mumbled under his breath, too quiet for Adam who appeared to be daydreaming.

Tyler moved out his seat, stood up, and headed toward the beautiful hostess.

Adam finally turned his head to find Tyler not there, until he realized he was walking away. He's probably just going to the washroom, he tried convincing himself. Curiosity kicked at him, though. Looking over to the entrance, he noticed Tyler talking to Rose. He'd better not be flirting with her. Adam fired up inside when he saw him slipping her a piece of paper.

Just then, the waitress appeared. "Sir, are you okay?"

He frowned. "Don't worry; I'm just leaving." Placing some cash in her hand, he stomped out, past the two of them. Rose peered over Tyler's shoulder to see Adam. She almost felt happy that he experienced a little pain for once, yet deep down, her heart strings were still pulling. A spark; a little light of hope that she was curious of. It's as if her body had given up, but her heart said, try once more.

He stumbled into his truck when he saw Tyler running towards him. "Where are you going?!"

"Stay away from her."

With that, he left, deserting his friend on the sidewalk. Back through the glass, Tyler could see Rose. He motioned the signal of a phone with his hands before heading off himself. I don't think he realizes I'm doing this for him. Afterwards, he came to the realize the conclusion he dreaded. His friendship was drowning quickly.