Chapter 14 Marissa

My vision began to blur as I struggled to keep my eyes open. I could faintly hear fighting outside, but it was slowly fading away. My vision darkened and I could see no more.

          My eyes fluttered open and I saw Aya sitting in the chair next to my bed reading some kind of ancient text.

"Wha- what happened?" I asked groggily, with vague memories of fighting.

"Oh, there was a small bandit attack." She replied dismissively as she continued reading.

"Small?!" Artemis exclaimed, "There was over a hundred bandits!"

"Nothing a few words of power couldn't solve." Aya replied.

"Words of power?" I inquired.

"Oh you know, ancient scrolls that the powerful wizards of the past left behind." She replied enthusiastically motioning towards the scrolls on the desk. "They're usually fun because you never know what they're going to do!"

"Fun is not the word I'd use." Artemis said, "That first spell nearly destroyed the whole village!"

"But it didn't." Aya replied with a coy smile.

"You are impossible!" Artemis exclaimed.

"We have to get going." I said sitting up, wincing at the pain shooting through my right side. I quickly noticed that I was only wearing my undergarments. Heat rose to my cheeks and pulled the sheets around my shoulders.

"You had a cut along your side." Aya said, noticing my embarrassment.

"Where's my clothing?" I asked. Aya motioned towards a chest in the corner of the room.

"We'll give you a few minutes to get dressed." Artemis said as she and Aya left the room. I slowly stood up, letting the sheets fall off of me. I looked at the scar that ran from my waist up to my chest. My hand ran along it, and I felt my magic get ready to heal it. My hand stopped at the top of it, but I couldn't bring myself to heal it. It was a reminder that no matter how strong I was, I would always be stronger with friends at my side. I pulled my clothes out, quickly dressing, and threw my cloak over my head. I walked out of the small cramped room into the main room. Kasper, Aya, and Artemis sat around a table talking softly. They all looked towards me as I closed the door behind me.

"Artemis and I must get going." I said softly.

"Wait." requested Kasper, "Tell me more about your quest."
"What's there to say. I'm going to the west to find a weapon against the demons."

"Now that's not a good idea!" Exclaimed Aya. "Alnor, the capital of the West, was overrun."

"The west has fallen to the shadows." Kasper added. "They'll head to the unprotected east now.

"We have to warn the king!" Artemis exclaimed.

"No." I replied, quickly thinking. "We have to gather all of the kingdoms together against this threat." I looked at Kasper, "Thanks for the information." I turned towards the exit.

"Wait!" Shouted Aya, "We're going with you."

"That should be everything." Aya said half an hour later, after collecting over half of the scrolls in the entire cottage.
"Are you sure you don't want that one?" I asked sarcastically.

"Yeah, that's the one that allows Dreamwalkers to keep some of their magic in the realm of the gods." She replied. My eyes widened. "But there hasn't been a Dreamwalker in over a thousand years."