Chapter 13 Joshua

Chapter 13 Joshua

"What are we going to do?" It was Damien's voice.

"I don't know. We can't let him kill himself on this quest, but we can't stop him from continuing." Evan's now.

"What is he even trying to accomplish right now?" Damien asked.

"I don't know. What drives him?"
"Revenge." Scar said quietly. My eyes shot open. I saw them sitting around a table in the room outside of mine. Scar stood up.
"If you think that you can somehow trick him into giving up his quest then you're a fool." She walked into my room, quietly closing the door.

"Hey." I whispered to her. She smiled, taking a seat next to my bed.

"Want to tell me what that was all about?" She asked.

"My little sister. I saw her..." My voice cracked, "She was in pain."

"We'll get her back." Scar whispered towards me.

"Don't make promises you can't keep." I replied.

"I don't." She whispered quietly. "Get dressed quietly." She tossed me my armor.

"Where are we going?" I asked, slowly strapping the armor to my body.

"You'll see."

          The forest seemed to get darker with every step. Shadows leaped from tree to tree, and I felt evil surround us. Shivers ran up my spine, and I felt as if something was watching.

"I'm not going any further!" A voice behind me exclaimed and I turned and saw a small group of bandits approaching us, one breaking rank and running. The leader was soon revealed to me.

"Why am I not surprised to see you here?" He asked.

"Maybe because you followed me, Merric."

"And who's this?" He asked looking at Scar.

"None of your business." I told him.

"You're matching armor is cute." He laughed at us. Our armor was the same color.

"At least we've got taste." I motioned towards his own armor that was similar to the other bandits.

"I wonder why she became your bitch." I drew my sword, stepping between them. Three of the bandits stepped towards us. I growled. Who does he think he is?

"No need to defend me." Scar smiled viciously, stepping towards the men. They rushed her, swinging their swords, and I dueled Merric. Scar's two swords moved with perfect precision, and I felt sorry for the bandits. Merric's sword bounced off of my shield, and he unleashed a flurry of strikes on me. My new shield wasn't even getting scratched, and I started my own offensive. This fight seemed familiar and I remembered what had happened at our last duel. His sword seemed to be glowing a faint orange, but my sword didn't absorb any of the heat.
"Funny." I panted, out of breath, "Magic doesn't work on enchanted blades."
          I quickly pushed him back, causing him to trip over a root. I held my sword against his neck.

"He's not going to be happy." Merric said.

"Who?" I interrogated. Merric smiled and disappeared into a flash of smoke. That seemed to be happening a lot lately. I turned around in time to see Scar's blade penetrate the last bandit's chest. Blood poured from his chest, and Scar looked as if she almost enjoyed taking his life.

"They can't hurt anyone else now." She smiled at me.

"But... But you just killed him."

"Yeah so?"

"You can't just take another's life like that."

"We don't have time for this conversation!" She exclaimed, grabbing my hand and dragging me towards a mountain in the middle of the trees.

"What are you doing back Scar?" An old man inquired at the top of the mountain. "Without the girl too."

"Sir, I couldn't continue on my own. And Joshua and his friends saved my life. I was wondering if you could take them in and train them. They could help."

"Where are his friends?" The old man asked, looking displeased.
"They're on their way." Scar said, "They'll be here soon."

"Take the boy back to the spare quarters. Make sure he and his friends are at training tomorrow." Boy! How dare he call me that.

"Yes sir."

"Who was that?" I asked Scar as soon as we were out of earshot. I still can't believe he called me boy.

"Roglave, he knows more about these demons than anyone else. He's the one who gave me the enchanting stones. The West has no summoning stones nearly as powerful as his."
"The West? When were you there?" I asked, curious about the mysterious Summoners.

"I travel a lot." She replied. "Evan and Damien should already be in the quarters." I narrowed my eyes. Why hadn't they been introduced to Roglave? "He wouldn't have been impressed with them and would have demanded that they leave immediately." She said as if reading my mind. As flattering as that was, why would he be impressed with me?

"Where did you learn to fight boy?" Roglave yelled at me watching me practice my techniques on a wooden dummy.

"The academy." I replied, sharply gasping as his walking stick came down on my head.
"You will address me as sir."

"Sorry sir." I replied rubbing the bump on my head.

"Keep practicing! I never told you to stop." I immediately started to hit the bag. "You have some talent, but your form is terrible. They still have no idea how to teach swordplay." I felt heat rise to my cheeks at his comment.

"They taught me everything I know, sir." I replied.

"Then you have a lot of unlearning to do." He sarcastically said, "We'll start with your stance."

"Respectfully, my stance is fine, sir."
"Okay, duel me." He drew his practice blade. I wasn't going to go easy on him. I rushed him, attacking with every bit of strength and skill I had. He was blocking everything I threw at him, but his reflexes were slowly getting worse and he started breathing heavily. He countered, and I could tell that he had been a great swordsman, but his days were long over. After an exceptional display of strength, I knocked him to the ground. I put the edge of my wooden sword to his neck, and hoped he'd yield and I wouldn't accidentally kill him. He smiled and put his hands up in defeat, and I drew my sword back. He swept my legs out with his, rising faster than I would of thought possible from him. He put his sword on my neck.

"The academy taught you to trust your opponent. In the real world enemies do whatever they can to gain an advantage. You must forget everything."
He turned to walk away, and I swept my sword towards his feet. He nimbly evaded it.

"Perhaps you can be taught a thing or two."

AN: Don't forget to vote. :) Sorry for the short chapter, I'll make it up to you by uploading a prologue on Tuesday. Don't hesitate to leave a comment/review. I love hearing from my readers!