Chapter 6

‘Still no luck getting hold of your friend Puck?’ Rachel asked from her seat near the fire place, as Finn entered the room after trying to call Puck again. He had in fact got in touch with Puck but it hadn’t been through telephone technology.

‘Yeah, I finally got hold of him on his cell. He’s stuck in the city,’ he told her. He knew that there was no possible way for Puck to pick him up. Puck had informed him that even if there was, it was impossible to get a car on the road because of the snow storm that had set in all over New York. 

‘It’s pretty bad out there so I doubt he would be able to get anywhere near here,’ Rachel told him then. When he had left the room she had turned the television on briefly to listen to the news and the newscaster had warned that the snowstorm had set in and could possibly keep everyone inside for a couple of days. 

‘Yeah that’s what he said,’ Finn replied scratching his ear. 

‘It’s ok Finn,’ Rachel smiled. She didn’t know how or why but she read the concern on his face that he was outstaying his welcome. 

‘Are you sure? I mean you hardly know me and now you're stuck with me,’ he sighed. 

‘Well that’s true, but for some reason I trust you,’ she told him quietly. ‘And I figured if your plan was to have your way with me, that you would have put the moves on me all ready,’ she laughed. 

‘True,’ he grinned. ‘The tree looks good,’ he told her then. They had spent the better part of the night decorating it and putting some lights up, and now Rachel's house had been transformed into what Finn could only describe as a winter wonderland. 

‘Yeah I forgot how much I love the smell of a fresh Christmas tree,’ she told him. 

‘So what are you doing for Christmas Rachel?’ Finn asked her then, and was happy when he saw a small smile grace her lips. 

‘Well normally I would spend it with my parents and friends, but this year my Dad is surprising my Mum with a cruise so I guess it will just be with the gang.’ 

‘The gang?’ Finn raised his eyebrow. ‘Sounds like you guys are close.’ 

‘Yeah the closest. Santana, Jesse and I have been best friends since diapers,’ she explained. ‘Our parents are best friends and so are we. Then there’s Jesse's wife, Quinn. We went to school with Quinn as well but we didn’t really have anything to do with her until Jesse's first year of university when he finally caught her attention.’ 

‘Sounds like a story.’ 

‘Yeah, you see in high school everyone referred to Quinn as the Ice Queen. She was the most popular and beautiful girl in school, and she was untouchable. Jesse had it bad for her, but he was unpopular and shy and he never had the guts to approach Quinn because he had seen so many others do it and get shot down. Anyway first year of uni and Jesse walks into one of his classes and there she is. And well I’m sure they tell the story very differently, but basically Quinn saw him and smiled. The rest they say is history. They started dating and a year later Jesse asked her to marry him. Jesse and Quinn are the happiest people I know,’ she smiled. 

‘Wow, sounds like true love,’ Finn smiled wistfully. He saw the pain that graced Rachel's features because of his words and once again he cursed himself for his stupidity. 

‘Yeah I think you're right,’ she smiled in answer, surprising Finn then. 

‘How about you Finn? Ever found true love?’ she asked him curiously. She was intrigued by the man that sat across from her in her house. Everything in her head told her not to let herself be drawn in by the beautiful amber eyes that she felt could see into her very soul, but her heart told her something completely different and she was finding it hard to fight her heart.