Chapter 5

Both sat there not knowing exactly what to say next. Finn didn't know what had possessed him to say something like that to her. He guessed it was having her so close and seeing her beautiful smile. The coziness and warmth of the atmosphere were making him do things he would have never thought of. Rachel's giggles had warmed his heart and hearing her laughter, Finn had said the first thing that came to his mind. What he had said was true. Rachel wasn't just cute; she was beautiful. Finn you really need to control yourself. You came here to help her, not to... He stopped in mid-sentence and didn't finish the thought. 

'Finn?' Her voice startled him and he looked at her. 

Rachel was suddenly very nervous and self-conscious. His comment had caught her off-guard. She hadn't known what to say, except thank him. Now as he looked at her with his stunning amber eyes, his stare did things to her that she had thought she would never feel again. Actually, she had never felt this way ever. Finn Hudson made her feel more than she wanted to admit. It had been just two days and Rachel was already thinking too much about him. She couldn't allow herself to feel this way. She couldn't. 

'Um, do you want to maybe call your friend?' Her voice held a breathless quality that she was trying hard to conceal. He couldn't know that he was making her completely breathless. 

'Yea, that would be good.' Finn tried to not to smile at her nervousness. The blush on her face was very becoming and her dark eyes looked amazing in the firelight. He wanted to get lost in them. There, he was at it again. 

'The phone is right over there,' she said pointing to the kitchen. 'It's on the counter.' 

'I'll be right back.' Getting up, he strode over to the kitchen. 

Rachel took a deep breath. Having supper with him in front of the fire held an intimacy that somewhat made her uncomfortable. She felt so good with Finn here and it occurred to her that she had never invited a strange man home. Finn was the first. After Brody, men hadn't crossed her mind. She had closed herself off to everyone and any thoughts about ever dating again were just not there. But Finn was changing all of that. He made her wonder about things that she had resolved never to think about again after Brody's death. Rachel stop this. Why does he have this effect on you? You can't allow yourself to get involved. Not after what she had been through. All the lies and betrayal had changed her and when she had learned the truth, she had suffered deeply and her heart had frozen. 

Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice when Finn come back in. 

He sat back down, beside her. 

'Rachel?' He turned towards her and saw the lost look in her eyes. He wanted to take her in his arms right then and ease all her pain. 

Coming out of her reverie, she looked over at him. 'What happened? Is he coming?' Secretly, Rachel hoped that Puck wasn't home. She wanted more time with Finn. Waiting for an answer, she picked up her spoon and started playing with it. 

'I called, but he's not home.' Just then he saw something flicker in her eyes that he'd never before seen. He could tell she was nervous. She was playing with the spoon and fidgeting. Rachel always fidgeted when she was nervous. He had watched over her for so long that he knew all the tiny mannerisms and habits she had. Picking up his own spoon, he took a bite. It was tomato soup. It was his favorite and knowing that Rachel had made it, made it even better. 'This is delicious,' he said, breaking the silence, after she hadn't said anything. 

'Thank you,' she smiled. 'Would you like some tea? It's lemon.' She poured a cup and handed it to him. Just as he was taking it, their fingers brushed. As they made contact, Rachel felt a surge go through her. It was electric. His touch. She felt it reach the very depths of her soul. He was looking at her and Rachel stared back into his eyes. They were pools of amber, a beautiful blend of brown and green. His eyes made her completely breathless. She wondered what they would like when... no! She had to stop this.