28 | Bad Blood.

After an hour passed by with no one walking in for his office hours, Jared decided to send Darnell a text

After an hour passed by with no one walking in for his office hours, Jared decided to send Darnell a text. The younger man responded almost immediately. Jared's eyes went wide in surprise, but his shock was soon replaced by excitement. He grinned, replying to Darnell's message.

Message from: Darnell.

I'm done with my classes. I've been done with them since two. Can I come over?

Friday, 6:01 P.M.

Message to: Darnell.

I'm not at home.

Friday, 6:02 P.M.

Message from: Darnell.

I know, I meant to your office. You're in the state university. I know where that is. I'll just need the directions to your office. :)

Friday, 6:03 P.M.

Jared stared down at the text. He wasn't sure what to say. On one hand, having Darnell come over might be a little risky, but on the other hand, most students had left the university buildings unless they had evening and night classes.

He put his thought aside, texting Darnell that it was okay to come. His work hours were almost over, and it wasn't as if he was hiding the fact that he was gay. If his students saw him it was all right, the semester was almost over anyway, and they'd get lost in the sea of the near forty thousand students. Darnell replied with a smiley emoticon and a little note saying that he would be coming over soon.

Jared waited in his office, going through his emails and marking assignments. After half an hour, there was a brief knock on the door before the door creaked open. Jared looked up and was about to ask Darnell how he had gotten here so fast, but he held his tongue when he saw who it was. It wasn't Darnell. It was Abby. She gave him a small smile, waving when he didn't say anything. She looked away, pushing strands of her hair behind her ear as she approached Jared's desk.

"I actually need help this time," she promised, taking a seat on the chair that was beside his table. Since that day that Abby gave Jared her little speech, she had been scarce in his office hours. Jared almost forgot about her entirely, but here she was, right in front of him with a smile on her face, and nerves swimming in the blue pool of her eyes. She looked very self-conscious, and it seemed her speech had not only shocked Jared but herself as well.

"Well, um," Abby muttered, looking down at the wooden table before shaking her head and looking through her bag. She took out her notes before flipping through her journal to show Jared what she needed help with. "Here's the question I'm having a little trouble with," she said, using her pink acrylic finger to point at her attempts at solving it. Jared was stunned, but that didn't stop him from leaning forward to show Abby how to solve it. Hopefully, she would be gone by the time Darnell got to his office - well, that was his hope, and it proved not to be the case. There was a knock on the door soon after, and Jared's phone buzzed. Jared looked at his screen, reading the message from Darnell.