XVIII

Tessa let her tears flow freely as she recalls all the words Will told her; he never failed impressing her with his words.

Tessa opened her eyes when she heard that Will himself suggested to her she should stay away from him for her own good. Tessa restrained herself from pulling herself up and wrap Will in her arms. She heard Will's voice crack saying those words. She remembered Will finally telling her everything in fine detail one time before. She could recall how his voice cracked when he said how he feels on the times he believed he was cursed. The belief nearly killed him emotionally and mentally. Tessa then remembered the nights where Will is crying from his sleep, as he sleep-talks about all the unpleasantness. She would put his face on her chest when he wakes up and would brush his hair with her fingers. And those are the things she wants to do for him now.

As much as Tessa hates it, she knew Will was right. The only way to play it safe was to stay away from him. But could she bear it? She knew she'd be killing a part of Will permanently if she did what he asked, even if he himself suggested it.

Tessa then remembered the night when Will took her to the drawing room and locked themselves up. She remembered breaking Will's heart. Tessa could not tell either Will or Jem the truth; she's in love with both of them.

Tessa would never obey Will's request. She'll find a way. There has to be! She knew deep in her soul that she'd hurt Will's inside persona in the worst way. She could not bear to see sadness and agony in those eyes again because of her.

Will feels sad because of you. Something inside her chimed. Tessa sighed. It's not because of you. Tessa keeps chanting on her head. A very cold shiver ran into her. Tessa hugged herself tightly, burying her face on her knees as she cried harder.

Will is wandering in the corridors of this Institute for minutes. Sleep feels lazy to take over him.

He's about to turn to another corridor when he heard muffled conversations from a room. The door is slightly budged, white light going out of the room. Curiousity took over Will. He then silently leaned to the wall beside the door and began listening to the conversation. He recognized the male's voice from his warlock friend Magnus Bane. He's talking to someone pitchy loud. A woman. Will could not guess who he was? Was it the readhead? Or the whore?

"...to wait, Iz." Magnus insisted. "There is no telling how much Simon could recall from his experience on the shadow world."

Yes. It's the whore. But who is Simon?

"It's unfair!" Isabelle whined. "How come he remembers Clary? How come he can't remember me? Or Alec? Or Jace for that matter?"

Wilk heard Magnus sigh. "That is probably because Clary is a part of Simon's mundane life..."

The Simon guy is a mundane? Hmph. The whore is dating a mundane? Now that is absurd. Will knew enough how situations like this would end up; this could go either way - either Iz and Simon would end up like Sophie and Gideon, or Isabelle Lightwood would end up like his father Edmund Herondale.

"...Clary grew up with mundanes. And Simon is a part of her she can't just erase. Same case for Simon."

"So you're saying that Simon remembers Clary crystal clear but remembers me like a busted old mundane television simply because Clary spent more time with him?"

"Yes."

There is a huff. "Tell Alec I went shopping for tampons. I'm visiting him."

"Alexander is not going to buy it."

"Oh?"

"We shopped awhile ago for toiletries. Alec gave the tampons to Clary, I believe. It's past nine, and the nearest convenience store is just a block. What am I suppose to tell him? That you went over conscious on every brand found in the store you spent three hours finding a good pack?"